Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting kitchen knives as a hobby

Collecting kitchen knives as a hobby

I had a couple of friends over for dinner last night and the husband knew that I collected kitchen knives. After dragging out a few to show him he asked me how much I had invested in these knives. I told him that I thought it was probably less than 10K. He asked me how I could spend 10K on knives and I said that it was my hobby. Now this guy's hobby is an airplane so he was satisfied with my answer.

I did a quick survey of my knives today and the investment is less than 10K, but not by much. I've been collecting knives for about 25 years so, on average, that works out to be around $400 a year. I spent way more than that on fishing trips (another hobby) during that time and thought nothing of it.

My point is that, as hobbies go, collecting kitchen knives isn't that expensive. I know that everything is relative but if you can afford it then "It's my hobby" is a good enough justification for a new knife.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

10k over 25 years seems like a bargain to me,especially for such a great hobby.
    Collecting watches,wine, cars,now those are expensive hobbies...even still you don't have to justify it to anybody,just enjoy!

Are you seeking support to deflect the incredulous looks from your spouse when you get another knife? It won't work--she will still think this is crazy

Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    Are you seeking support to deflect the incredulous looks from your spouse when you get another knife? It won't work--she will still think this is crazy
    No spouse, no problem.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    ... A short story:: I hv a friend who spends thousands of dollars on his fishes. ( koi's) . The wife was going on and on abt his wasting his money and time maintainng the pond and feeding ( over feeding really).

I told her to poison his pond. He heard it and gave me hard a glare and a dropped jaw.. Next I told the wife that she is lucky. His hobby keeps him very much at home. Perhaps, I shld interest teh husband in on newer hobbies ( like birds of teh 2 legged kind. He'll be happy and she'll be gotton rid of all his fishes... ( her source of dismay)

Moral of the story.. teh man cld hv been engaged in a worse hobby !! It keeps him more at home, she gets to see him and know where the money is going!

Basically, from the look of it.. good kitchen knives has quite a fair resale value. the months/ years of playing with it and losing some money is small cost for the hobby. IN addition.. this hobby keeps guys sharp.. better undertanding of how knifes are made, what makes it a great knife and how to maintain it. A great exercise for brain esp if you are already near or at the retirement age as it keeps us challenged.. not that we are mentally challenged..

Funny.. that sometimes the arrival of a parcel brings so much expectation, taking pictures and posting it on the KKF is a manifestation of pride and joy of ownership and camaraderie of like minded people on KKF and also sharing the knowledge and experience

All in all it is an affordable hobby.. also good for the family.. its keeps us at more at home . we cld have meandered off into less family friendly interests/ hobbies.

Just my thoughts

have fun whilst you are at it and do stay sharp!
    D

I did an article recently about my kitchen knife hobby and got a lot of strang looks in the newsroom here in Fort Worth. Now if it was guns I would have been alright...

I am glad I work in a kitchen, no funny looks over our knife obsession, it's just like my mechanic buddies and their snap-on gear. It's funny, my boss collects wine, and has cellars and cellars, and storage units full, but it comes and goes, my knives will be around to hand down to family when I'm gone. Now I think of that as a good and bad thing, I could buy more knives if I could use them up..... hmmm storage units full of knives, probably cheaper than the wine.

My wife likes to say when people comment about my knife buying: "Well, at least he's not out whoring." It's all relative I guess.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Cool post!

Ive wondered about this as well... I have had a number of hobbies/interests during the years and decided that I should stick to one, cooking. This led me to knives. I love kitchen knives because I can use them every day while I do something I love, pure and simple.... At some point I also become a colector. I personally believe some knives might even be a good investment.

I dont get too much heat... Maybe because at some point I started to self regulate to a point where I exchanged, negotiated and only purchase a few knives every now and then... But this is such a "to each his own kind of topic... "

Bottom line... I agree.. There are so many worst things to do with money than a couple hundred dolars per on a knife..

As long as some are going out as others are comming in I slip under the radar.

This hobby is alot cheaper and takes alot less time than wood boats.......

Is it a bad thing if the backup bilge pump is always running?