Andrew's Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew H

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial
Reaction score
I finally got around to taking some pictures of my knives. I mainly did this to keep track of what my collection is and to give KKF users more pictures to oggle and maybe give people a look at geometry / profile of some knives that aren't talked about much here. I tried to get as many choil shots as I could, but I found out it's almost impossible to get one that isn't blurry with my camera. :sad0:
The knives are ordered in chronological order starting with the first knives and ending with the most recent.

Miyabi Fusion 8".
Not much to say here. It was my first knife and I used it to learn the basics of sharpening (AKA messing it up and then trying to fix it). It has a surprisingly good distal taper and the F&F is top notch.
IMG_2185.JPG

CCK 1303.
Great knife, very easy to sharpen and can take a very nice toothy edge. Still the best "bang for your buck" knife, IMO.
IMG_2188.JPG

Yoshikane Kasumi 240mm gyuto.
My pride and joy. Out of the knives I've tried it is the most underrated and least talked about on the forums. I love this knife. I don't know if I got a great one but the grind is great and the steel takes a better edge than my white steel Carter. I got this one from DrNaka but I think maxim sells the same one. I need to do a passaround with this soon. I took a picture of the choil awhile back that is better than the one I took today I attached it also.
IMG_2189.JPG

i4pvfb.jpg

IMG_2191.JPG

L.R. Harner "Laser Petty"
One thing I have to say about this knife is the F&F was great. The pins were so flush it was a joy to run my fingers over them and not feel where they met the wood. The grind is interesting and this knife gets quite a bit of in hand use. The first time sharpening it took awhile to raise a burr but I haven't sharpened it in over 6 months. It gets a quick strop on loaded leather and then back to peeling potatoes or coring strawberries. It doesn't get any board use but I'm still impressed with the edge retention.
IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

Tojiro ITK 120mm petty.
This knife has been abused. I dropped it on the floor and broke off a mm or two of the tip and then the night after fixing it I was deboning chicken and broke it off again. The grind is iffy, I hate the KU finish, and the handle is terrible, but inside there is a piece of white steel that has some potential.
IMG_2195.JPG

CarboNext 240mm gyuto
Fun knife. Very reasonable for the price and I like the steel. The grind was even but boring (almost entirely flat), but it's a good knife. The handle is very comfortable.
IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

Carter with Dave Martell rehandle and Marko Tsourkan Saya
We all love Carters. Mine has some grind issues on the heel and right in front of the heel on both sides, I don't know if this is a lone case or not. This one is a 180mm(ish) funy in white steel. You can see more (better) pictures of it here: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/6760-Carter-to-Martell-Conversion I also took a picture of the pin that matches the koa handle perfectly and Marko claims was just random chance...
IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

Tilman Leder 230mm board suji in Niolox
This is a great knife. I believe I stole the design almost entirely from Tinh. It's around 36mm at the heel so it's tall enough for board work while still being short enough for in hand work. The right side is heavily convex and the back side very slightly. I tried to get a good picture but you're just going to have to trust me. It tapers nicely, but slowly, up to around one inch from the tip and then drops off dramatically. It is the little brother of a two knife set from Tilman.
IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

Gengetsu White Steel 240mm Gyuto with Mike Henry handle
If you've ever used a gengetsu you know they are great knives. The fit and finish on the spine and choil could be slightly better, but you simply can't argue with the performance. Sometimes the knife can feel slightly sluggish in the hand (even with the much heavier custom handle the balance point is around an inch in front of the heel) but food release is nice and it doesn't wedge. The white steel is what you'd expect but seems to have slightly more edge retention than my Carter (anyone else care to weigh in?).
IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

300mm Yoshihiro yanagiba
This is my starter single bevel knife. I'm still learning how to polish it but I've been able to make it much sharper than it was OOTB, which I'm taking as an accomplishment. Very nice starter yanagiba, the grind only had two inconsistencies (and a little issue with the ura near the tip) and the blade was perfectly straight. Great value.
IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

Tilman Leder 270mm gyuto in Niolox
The big brother to the 230mm suji. It's a great knife. The convex grind isn't as pronounced on the gyuto as it is on the suji but it's ground thinner. It would be safe to say this knife is a laser :wink: You'll see in the pics that the tip of this thing is ridiculous. I was trying to replicate this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKC8c3k34qE and I was blown away. The two knives complement each other very nicely. Both have the same style handle, buffalo horn, ss spacer, koa.
IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

Thanks for looking!

IMG_2185.JPG

Nice Andrew, quite an impressive collection for such a young dude! For any dude for that matter. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice... Like the combinations!:doublethumbsup:

Looking good Andrew! Whats next for you?

😋🐮👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

That leder just disappears! I'm not sure where the tip finishes and air begins.

Latest posts

Back