Quantcast
How many Straight Razor users do we have here? - Page 20
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Congrats, Dude! Happy shaving!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sweet! Congratulations!

You got one of the most coveted brands of razor out there.
    Filarmonica are one of the very best, enjoy it.

Congratz Glaseye hope you find a good brush and soap and try it out soon!.

Niiiice!

Dwarvenchef, you deserve a free "sample" of my stuff to let menknow what you think! PM me your addy and I'll send some out
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have a lot of questions about this whole straight razor, shaving soap and brush thing. There are quite a few North Carolinians making handmade shaving soap, and I'm considering making my own wa-style straight. I'll need a good brush at a fair price, and I make my own bowls. I'm showing my ignorance here -- do you guys put the whole bar of soap in your cups or just shave off a little into the cups and whip up the lather? I mean I'm clueless! I'm also kicking myself as I threw out my great grandfather's western straight, probably 25-30 years ago :-( I really don't want to join another forum right now to get answers, so here's more -- what does 6/8 or 8/8, etc. mean? Which side should be hollow ground on a single bevel for a right handed person? I'm sure I'll have ??? more later. Thanks! Tom
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Quote Originally Posted by tgraypots View Post
    I have a lot of questions about this whole straight razor, shaving soap and brush thing. There are quite a few North Carolinians making handmade shaving soap, and I'm considering making my own wa-style straight. I'll need a good brush at a fair price, and I make my own bowls. I'm showing my ignorance here -- do you guys put the whole bar of soap in your cups or just shave off a little into the cups and whip up the lather? I mean I'm clueless! I'm also kicking myself as I threw out my great grandfather's western straight, probably 25-30 years ago :-( I really don't want to join another forum right now to get answers, so here's more -- what does 6/8 or 8/8, etc. mean? Which side should be hollow ground on a single bevel for a right handed person? I'm sure I'll have ??? more later. Thanks! Tom
    You should really check out Straight Razor Place Ė they have an amazing library of very helpful info. And you donít have to get into the discussions to learn more than you ever knew existed.

Hereís some quick responsesÖ

Most people keep shaving soap in a soap bowl Ė it either comes in a bowl or if you buy a puck you can melt it in a microwave and pour it into the bowl. I use pyrex glass ramekins; put a soap puck it in, put the lot in a pot of simmering water to melt the soap. To use, soak your brush in another shaving bowl/mug in warm water; whip up a little lather in the soap bowl with some water; empty the water from the shaving bowl/mug and dump in the suds; whip to a lather, adding more water or suds as required. Itís takes a couple of times to get to know how the soap reacts and the kind of lather you like.

I have heard of guys using a cheese grater to grate the soap, and then they use a few flakes in the shaving bowl. Seems like a great way for traveling.

*/8 refers to the height of the blade in fractions of an inch. But for some reason unknown to me itís usually represented in 1/8ths. 4/8 = 1/2ď 5/8 canít be deduced so itís 5/8Ē; 6/8 = 3/4Ē, etc.

For traditional kamisori, the hollow ground is always on the left (unless itís made for a left handed user, but in Japan thereís no such thing). The intention is that the razor is used ONLY with the right hand and the hollow ground is ALWAYS against the face, when shaving every part of the face. Go to YouTube and search for kamisori shaving; there are a couple of Western guys who have done it well, but Iíve decided itís not my cup of tea and never went further into it. Itís another art of itself. Iíve seen some new kamisori-style razors that are double bevel as a means of given Westerns more of the flexibility/diversity we are used to. There are folks around that know far more than I do about kamisori.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

What mpukas said. However, I'm a face-latherer, myself.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Some soaps are harder to melt than others, if I remember correctly triple milled soaps don't melt well in the nuke box and for the life of me I could not tell you what those brands are off the top of my head. Most hand made soaps do melt easy and both the hot water and nuke box will do the trick, however the nuke box is riskier as it can damage some of the components of the soap by getting to hot to fast. Hot water method is far safer in so many more ways

I have my soaps in many diffrent containers, curiosity keeps me guessing at times I have used empty lather bowls, mugs, cast iron bowls, you name it. It comes down more personal preference than function, but not fully As you get more addicted to soaps you will find subtle differences in how they act with any one combination of brush, container, and face... Yes yet another art unto it's self

As for brushes... ( just run and Hide ) Personal preference calls more into play than the components. That said Boar bristle brushes are stiffer, silver tip badger are super soft, Pure badger is afordable but not as soft as silver tips. And each brush acts different vs the soap used and the face it's pressed against. As for names of manufacturers, yikes... Personally if it was made in China... pass unless you really know the reputation of the maker, lots of junk coming out of there nowdays. German brushes are extreamly popular and have a price tag to match. Art of Shaving is all over the place in both quality and price so get your hands on a piece before laying down serious cash, again depending on taste, I really like my AoS pure badger brush a nice middle of the road feel.

L to R
    ShaveMac SRP LE '08 Silver Tip Badger, in cast iron bowl
    Art of Shaving Pure Badger, in handmade ceramic bowl
    Allessee "silver tip", in a copper bottom messuring cup

The ShaveMac is a german made brush with a "bulb cut" knot, this brush is crazy soft and does not like hard soaps. Takes forever to get a lather off the puck, gratting the hard soap may help here but i have yet to try that. However it ROCKS when using creams

AoS pure badger has been a good work horse, it's handled both creams and harder soaps with ease and at the cost, MUCH lower than the mid priced ShaveMac, makes a great starter brush. It's not flashy and some people have had shedding issues with them, but I have not.

Allessee silver tip was my first brush and it's very small, great for traveling however Cost wise they are not much cheaper than AoS ($50-$75) and unless you are looking for mini items I'd not recomend them sight unseen.

I also have 2 of my dads boar brushes that I'm looking to get restored with new bristles (called Knots) but have yet to dig into it very much...

i like momabear soaps they come i both pucks and screw top containers
    liek said brushes come in all kinds (golden nib also carrys the bare knots if you wanted to turn or throw your own brush handle ) i get the silver tips in different sizes depending what i/ the user is wanting