Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 398

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

  1. #221
    Canada's Sharpest Lefty Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,266
    Proraso Pre-Shave is what I use. Whether or not it works any better than hot water by itself is up for debate. With that being said, I still use it almost every shave and bought three jars when I learned they were changing the formula. Now that I think about it, I'm guessing the new one is great too. Meh!
    09/06

    Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

    Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Proraso Pre-Shave is what I use. Whether or not it works any better than hot water by itself is up for debate. With that being said, I still use it almost every shave and bought three jars when I learned they were changing the formula. Now that I think about it, I'm guessing the new one is great too. Meh!
    I have used proraso, and home made oils mixes and really did not find any benefit to the shave.
    I do no prep now and have zero problems, IMO it is about experience and properly honed edge than anything else.

  3. #223
    Canada's Sharpest Lefty Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,266
    You're very likely right, but I like the smell, ritual and placebo effect of it all.
    09/06

    Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

    Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

  4. #224
    Senior Member DwarvenChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central CA
    Posts
    792
    I'm not much for the oils as they can cause issues if not cleaned off the hands properly, nothing like shaving with a slippery razor One of the things I try is a conditioner for my wifes hair. Durring my shower I run on the conditioner and let it sit a few minutes than rinse it off. Than shave as usual with just a lather.

    Another thing I have tried and worked well was lathering up than washing it off with hot water and lathering again for the shave. When I have time this is the one I use and it works well for me.

    All in all if the edge is not up to snuff nothing you do will make the shave comfortable

  5. #225
    Senior Member mpukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gyptuckey, CO
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    All in all if the edge is not up to snuff nothing you do will make the shave comfortable
    After my last round with you guys about edge quality, I went back to the stones with some new techniques and have a much, much better edge now. Tried a few circles, and spent limited time on the 1k, and more intension on the 4k & 8k. Edge is quite smooth and I'm back to have very smooth shaves. Not saying it's perfect, but it's vastly better than before I f'd it.

    Sometimes if I don't feel like making more than one pass, it's still awfully close. Doing a 2nd pass is more for ritual than practicality for me.

    I always seem to get a couple nicks in the same place right below the corners of my lips, no matter what I try or how carefully I shave that area. I知 just wondering if a some pre-shave treatment would help. Not really into adding another step or addition to the lineup. I like to keep it as simple and efficient as possible.

    On a side note, I have noticed that the quality of a shave has as much to do with, if not more than, how my skin is feeling at the time, rather than the prep. My prep is always consistent, so I know I知 doing the same thing every time. If I致e been out in the sun & wind a lot and/or haven稚 had enough water, or if I知 feeling run down or really tired, I値l have a bad shave that will burn, most often with nicks and cuts. If I知 feeling energetic, am well hydrated, and not too stressed, then I値l have a blissful shave.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

  6. #226
    Senior Member Mr.Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    902
    im shaving every 3th-day so the skin get use to this type of shaving. if i shave now and wait 2 weeks before i shave again, the shave is not gonna feel as smooth for the skin. and nicks is gonna come easier. IMO


    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    After my last round with you guys about edge quality, I went back to the stones with some new techniques and have a much, much better edge now. Tried a few circles, and spent limited time on the 1k, and more intension on the 4k & 8k. Edge is quite smooth and I'm back to have very smooth shaves. Not saying it's perfect, but it's vastly better than before I f'd it.

    Sometimes if I don't feel like making more than one pass, it's still awfully close. Doing a 2nd pass is more for ritual than practicality for me.

    I always seem to get a couple nicks in the same place right below the corners of my lips, no matter what I try or how carefully I shave that area. I知 just wondering if a some pre-shave treatment would help. Not really into adding another step or addition to the lineup. I like to keep it as simple and efficient as possible.

    On a side note, I have noticed that the quality of a shave has as much to do with, if not more than, how my skin is feeling at the time, rather than the prep. My prep is always consistent, so I know I知 doing the same thing every time. If I致e been out in the sun & wind a lot and/or haven稚 had enough water, or if I知 feeling run down or really tired, I値l have a bad shave that will burn, most often with nicks and cuts. If I知 feeling energetic, am well hydrated, and not too stressed, then I値l have a blissful shave.

  7. #227
    Senior Member DwarvenChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central CA
    Posts
    792
    Have I mentioned I hate editing...

  8. #228
    Senior Member Mr.Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Have I mentioned I hate editing...
    Have I mentioned i hate waiting for a video.....



  9. #229
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuster View Post
    smells like isopropyl alcohol...it's rather distinct.
    Ethanol and isopropanol have smells but they are volatile enough that the smell is gone in a matter of moments. That's why such compounds are used in perfumes, aftershaves, etc. They are much more volatile than the lingering components. If you're talking about perfume-type deals, alcohol doesn't contribute to the odor you carry around the rest of the day.

  10. #230
    Senior Member tkern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    640
    Name:  w&brefurb.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  6.4 KB



    Got a few pictures today from Stefan (mainaman) on refurbing my worm eaten Wade & Butcher.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •