Quantcast
How many Straight Razor users do we have here? - Page 24
Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Just put a new edge on the swedish About to shoot the follow up

To long to edit DOH, Just shot the follow up... well most of it... Batt low... Not something you want to see in the middle of shooting...

So after two shaves with this CV Heljestrand (doh no stills...) and putting my own edge on it for the second shave I must say I do like the steel. Feels like the old (1850-90's) stylings of english razors but with a touch of the hardness of the german blades. If this razor was a size or two larger I'd be all over it but alas I want to do one more shave with it and get this set of videos finished so it can go to it's new home (I'm just the in-between guy) haha. As sometimes happens I forgot to strop this blade before I started shooting the video. About 4-5 strokes into the shave it dawns on me but it was not feeling bad so I just kept going. No razor burn so why worry about it LOL. I have sence stropped it 60 passes as I normally do off the stones and we will see what the difference that makes.

For both videos I used the same gear, Mike's Natural soap, AoS pure badger brush, CV Heljestrand (5/8?) shower conditioner and so on. When I did the new edge I took it down to the Shapton 3k to check the bevels, they where set fairly well and aside from a couple spots of spit, a vairly clean and un used edge. Next was the mide range (8-10k) Jnat than to the hard asagi (25kish) for the final polish. Because I was pressed for time and the stone felt good on the edge I passed on the nagura. My nagura is still an unmarked (synthetic?) piece so I tend to use it when I'm in a real testing mood, yes I need to get a set of real nagura so I can test properly

So that is where I am at the moment, we shall see what tomorow brings

great info. hope you have better luck with the camera on the next shave. i have a razor for you aswell and this one you get to keep.. ill send it out to you this weekend, all im gonna say about it is Swedish.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    To long to edit DOH, Just shot the follow up... well most of it... Batt low... Not something you want to see in the middle of shooting...

So after two shaves with this CV Heljestrand (doh no stills...) and putting my own edge on it for the second shave I must say I do like the steel. Feels like the old (1850-90's) stylings of english razors but with a touch of the hardness of the german blades. If this razor was a size or two larger I'd be all over it but alas I want to do one more shave with it and get this set of videos finished so it can go to it's new home (I'm just the in-between guy) haha. As sometimes happens I forgot to strop this blade before I started shooting the video. About 4-5 strokes into the shave it dawns on me but it was not feeling bad so I just kept going. No razor burn so why worry about it LOL. I have sence stropped it 60 passes as I normally do off the stones and we will see what the difference that makes.

For both videos I used the same gear, Mike's Natural soap, AoS pure badger brush, CV Heljestrand (5/8?) shower conditioner and so on. When I did the new edge I took it down to the Shapton 3k to check the bevels, they where set fairly well and aside from a couple spots of spit, a vairly clean and un used edge. Next was the mide range (8-10k) Jnat than to the hard asagi (25kish) for the final polish. Because I was pressed for time and the stone felt good on the edge I passed on the nagura. My nagura is still an unmarked (synthetic?) piece so I tend to use it when I'm in a real testing mood, yes I need to get a set of real nagura so I can test properly

So that is where I am at the moment, we shall see what tomorow brings

I have been using a straight razor for many years (I started about 1997ish) though I've only this year began collecting them, expanding my soap/cream/brush selections (for 15+ years I had 2 brushes, 2 razors and 2-3 creams which I used regularly - and my honing was all done by local shop and a neighbor once I moved back to Pennsylvania - alas he passed away a year ago this week, which began my pursuit for more razors and ultimately honing)

Most importantly, and the most fun/zen part of the entire straight shaving experience for me now is honing them myself. I am still a neophyte at it, having only started a couple months ago, but it's become an obsession of it's own. I generally don't use tape unless the spinework is fancy and/or I'm honing a full or near wedge or a frameback (often the steel of the frame is softer than the steel of the blade)

it's a deep rabbit hole for sure, but I'm hooked!

there are some truly beautiful razors in this thread, I'll add some pics of some of my more treasured razors at some point.

Welcome to the insanity

Drool, goodies My wife has started looking over the incomming mail again looking for unknown "shippers" hehe seems I've been caught surfing Ebite (and getting scared of W&B $$$) looking for bits and pieces. She didn't axe my ideas yet but I'm waiting for that chopping off of the brain pan... I'm getting the itch to rebuild and polish up my collections again

At the moment I'm sitting (ouch) on a Boker Bicycle Race with shattered scales. Older Bokers tend to have bigger scales and nothing I have fits so I have been surfing the bay looking for parts to scavenge again I have a nice set of Boker pressed Tree scales on another razor but I have not been able to find out if that type scale was ever used on the BCR razor... If I'm going to put the correct scale on the right blade it darn well better be the correct dated scale/razor match... otherwise it's what ever fits. This blade I want to get as close to period as posable... Ya I know...

Stones... some one just shoot me... I got it in my head a while back that if I'm going to even try to go proffessional (in some way) I should be able to put any finish requested... (see, shoot me please...) So that meens I need a few more stones (as always) in my collection. Plus my only Coticule is an heirloom piece and I only use it for honing the 2 heirloom razors... So obviously I need another coticule And a Thurg, and test more JNats... You get the picture...

Right now I'm having to much fun to worry about doing this in a pro setting, than it would become work and I'm not ready for that But who knows what the future will bring

ZzZzZz

Just shot the second remake, I'm jumping on my old comp to use that editing program because the new one is driving me insane...

I tell ya though stropping that swedish (forgot to as mentioned ) turned it into one sweet shave

I have been reading this thread for a while now. you guys never stop giving me this new hobbies, my wife might kill me soon !!

I have been using gillette a long time, but not really happy about them.

Was thinking to switch to electric shaver but my skin is very sensitive.

SR sound much more interesting .

I'm a bit lost, where should i start ? was looking at ebay and there is millions of them there :/

Shall i go for something Swedish or american and where to buy ?

What do i need to keep it sharp on the cheap?

Time to go and convince the wife that SR is the best for my skin

Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    I have been reading this thread for a while now. you guys never stop giving me this new hobbies, my wife might kill me soon !!

I have been using gillette a long time, but not really happy about them.

Was thinking to switch to electric shaver but my skin is very sensitive.

SR sound much more interesting .

I'm a bit lost, where should i start ? was looking at ebay and there is millions of them there :/

Shall i go for something Swedish or american and where to buy ?

What do i need to keep it sharp on the cheap?

Time to go and convince the wife that SR is the best for my skin
    Ebay is the worst place to start.
    you can get a very nicely priced starter razor/strop/brush soap set from Straight Razor designs, they hone the razors and I think they have a deal of free honing but could be wrong. Here a link http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/...t-shaving-sets
    then you learn to shave and strop, that will take time, how long depends on the person. Be warned it is a very deep rabbit hole, razors are more addictive than knives.

Even the minimalist can get a good starting set that can carry them through the years, SRD has some great people supporting their sets. A set can be pieced together easy but requires a bit of knowelege of what you like. And that when it gets tricky Like most of us here, we like ALOT!!! There is a reason we all have *AD's and straight shaving has a minefield full of them LOL Lucky for me RAD, HAD, SSAD are the only ones that hit me hard, I mean how many shave soaps does one REALLY need???