Quantcast
How many Straight Razor users do we have here? - Page 7
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Hamon- I have a few

Recently I got Iwasaki Western Tamahagane, which is deferentially heat treated razor. Knowing that I decided I'll etch it with acid to make the Hamon stand up from the rest of the blade.

After a few soaks in hot vinegar and cleaning in between, and natural stone polish afterwards I got a pretty interesting hamon to show up.

Then the big surprise...
    I was working on a FON Golden Star, from my "for restoration" stash, hand sanding to prep it for high mirror finish. I started with Aoto powder then 1k Aluinum Oxide powder, and saw that the steel of the blade has two distinct finishes meeting ~1/2 way -a sure sigh for a differential heat treatment.
    So I put the blade trough the hot vinegar etch process and got a nice wide hamon. Whet I found really surprising is that a factory made razor has this kind of treatment, may be that was the way to achieve really high hardness of the edge. Needless to say this one stays in the collection, and I will have to check every single Japanese straight for hamon from now on

So there ya have it- Honyaki Straight Razors.

that is sexy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    You razor guys have issues
    What ever do you mean Perfectly logical series of events to me Even if I am more inclined toward european 1800's stock

DwarvenChef & Mainaman - finally get back to you guys. Thanks for the responses.

I don't have a loupe, and yeah I need to get one to see what I'm doing at each stage.

I agree that every face responds differently to each razor, but I was getting great, very smooth shaves with my Dovo, then I f***'d it up.

It started when I took it to the Bester 500 - I was only using the GS 1K, 4K, & 8K previously, and thought it would be a good idea to make a few passes on the coarse stone to grind off some fatigued metal. The edge felt good in testing it, but felt HORRIBLE when I shaved with it. I had to hone it about 3 more times sans 500 to get it to shave somewhat smoothly again. Since then I've had the problems with nicks and cuts.

I've been able to get a decent, shaveable edge off of the 8K + stropping, and I know I really need to get better before I go on to finer stones/stropping compounds. But I'm getting a bit impatient and frustrated. This has been going on for months, and everytime I use the Dovo I end up looking like a stuck pig. I'll do everything from stropping to prep to actual shave very carefully and attentatively, and I'll get random nicks and slices - even on parts of my face that shouldn't get cut due to tight skin and flat even surface.

I've tried several different honing techniques/styles, and have yet discovered where my problems lies. I originally started using some of Lynn Abram's techniques, and those seemed locgical (except for the pyramid - I tried it once with so-so results) and gave me good results. Primarily using edge leading strokes. Then Murray Carter came out with his (very confrontational video that stirred up a virtual s**t storm) video on straight razor honing, and how he recommends using edge trailing strokes due to carbide pop-out. Seemed logical too, so I tried it and got good results, even better than before. Then sometime after that I hit the 500 stone and it's been downhill since then.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

On another topic - do you guys tape the spine of your SRs?

MC says the design of a SR is such that if you tape the spine, then the spine does not wear down at the same rate at the edge bevel, and the angle of the bevel will increase over time.

It seems that most guys like to tape the spine, primamrily on coarse stones, if for no other reason that to prevent excessive scrathing on the spine.

I do not tape the spine.

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post

MC says the design of a SR is such that if you tape the spine, then the spine does not wear down at the same rate at the edge bevel, and the angle of the bevel will increase over time.

It seems that most guys like to tape the spine, primamrily on coarse stones, if for no other reason that to prevent excessive scrathing on the spine.

I do not tape the spine.
    Some I tape some I do not, depends on the case.
    If you want send your Dovo to me I'll hone it for you to have something to shave with, also grab something cheap but in good shape from e-bay and practice honing. Having an edge for reference while learning honing IMO is the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    Some I tape some I do not, depends on the case.
    If you want send your Dovo to me I'll hone it for you to have something to shave with, also grab something cheap but in good shape from e-bay and practice honing. Having an edge for reference while learning honing IMO is the best way to go.
    Thanks for the offer to hone my SR. I'm going to try a couple of things and see what I come up with. if I can't get a better edge, I'll send it to you.

I originally got the Dovo as a learning tool. Since I've aquired a couple of other razors, I now realize that the Dovo really is a great basic razor. I've got a cheap-ish wedge that I got from SRP that I can practice on as well. So far i can't really gat a decent enough edge on it to call it shaveable.

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post

I don't tape spines when I hone UNLESS it's someone else's razor that I'm working on and then they'd have to have requested it OR I need to for repair purposes. I understand the reasons for taping a spine but I feel that the spine should wear directly proportional to the edge so I work with this in mind whenever possible.

PS - I believe that spine taping is a modern thing that's been introduced by custom razor makers as a way to allow for them to get away with the making of poorly ground (spine to height) ratios/hollows, poor honing jobs, and/or for simply keeping their damascus looking pretty. I do not believe that spine taping has ever been done prior to these guys starting into the razor world and I say this because I've never seen any evidence to say otherwise and lots of evidence that shows spine wear to be part of the equation of normal wear to the life of a straight razor.

I'd never state this on a razor forum though, I couldn't take the stoning.