Quantcast
How many Straight Razor users do we have here? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Quote Originally Posted by Wagstaff View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on the Whipped Dog deal. I have much to learn. And am more worried about HAD than RAD at the moment -- though I don't know (yet) how to hone razors. This weekend I'll go at my first shave with a straight.
    While you're waiting for it to arrive, check out these articles:

http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads...azor-Shave.pdf

http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwik...ht_razor_shave

Good luck and don't get discouraged. Styptic pencils are your friend.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    congratz on the good deal. yeah i think aframestokyo had one for sale at 1080$
    He had may be 5 or 6 all in different condition of used, but none NOS.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Many years now, I cannot even think of going back to a cartrige. I got hooked soon after I discovered Japanese knives and have not shaved with anything else sence than. Something about the whole rutine that really captivates me, I love all the aspects of straight razor shaving. Many here and on other forums got hooked about the same time and we all had a great time bouncing back and forth about kitchen knives and straight razors. It's really cool that it's still rippling around this pond

I'm more hooked on vintage razors and only have one brand new razor, the SRP limited edition TI, most of my everyday shavers are 1850's ish and a couple late 1700's/very early 1800's. Just like my kitchen knives, if it doesn't show some wear/battle scars I'll not be interested in it. And carbon RULES!!! For a while I was doing videos of all my razors in use... I need to get the camera out and do more advanced videos someday lol.

Next one to rebuild
    a guy a know is selling a pretty cool one. maybe something for you?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/pre-1800-ant...#ht_500wt_1207

I've been shaving with a straight for just over a year now and love it. Being forced to use a disposable razor again while on vacation about a month ago (the one downside is that you can't take a straight on a plane as part of your carry-on) was a horrible experience that completely reminded me of why I used to hate shaving!
    - Erik

Thanks for the pointers, Rick. Larry at Whipped Dog also sent a pdf manual, largely overlapping with the Chris Moss one you linked. I'll be re-reading all of what you sent, what Emanuel sent me, and Larry's piece before I get to lathering. Now I need some instructions on honing. Or not now, but soon. If I get through a couple straight shaves with face intact!

Thanks Mr. Magnus too. I'll be sure to let you know. Or pester for advice. Whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    a guy a know is selling a pretty cool one. maybe something for you?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/pre-1800-ant...#ht_500wt_1207
    That is a nice looking razor but it is not pre 1800, that kind of shoulder didn't show uptill after 1810. Pre 1800 razors have not shown any shoulder. Not to say they where not around, someone may have started playing with the idea. However in razor history any hint of a better design was pounced apon and almost over night all razors looked the "new" way. Personally I would look up the maker and check other makes they did from known timelines and if the price was right I'd bid.

This blade is assumed (no name to varify) to be a blade made in the last decade of 1700. I have two blades from this time and they are both like this, just the hint of what is to become a shoulder that is knowen to becom a landmark change in early in the first decade of 1800. This photo was taken before I rebuilt it useing the same parts and it shaves very well

memorael gave me my first razor (Ern Crown and Sword) a couple of years ago. Then I met with DC last May for a lesson in all things straight razor. I spend every day waiting for my beard to grow out a little so I can shave again. My best shave to date was from a Filarmonica I bought from Maksim a few months ago along with a finishing stone and some nagura. It took some getting used to but I'm getting pretty close to that first shave I got out of Maksim's sharpening job. Now, I'm buying old razors, tidying them up and using them. I won't comment on how many razors I have sitting around the house...

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    memorael gave me my first razor (Ern Crown and Sword) a couple of years ago. Then I met with DC last May for a lesson in all things straight razor. I spend every day waiting for my beard to grow out a little so I can shave again. My best shave to date was from a Filarmonica I bought from Maksim a few months ago along with a finishing stone and some nagura. It took some getting used to but I'm getting pretty close to that first shave I got out of Maksim's sharpening job. Now, I'm buying old razors, tidying them up and using them. I won't comment on how many razors I have sitting around the house...
    anything fun u wanna sell ?

Wait... who gives all-things straight razor lessons? I could see the need! My own DE phase has been fraught with danger. Or at least irritation. But I've learned a bunch about prep. I'm hoping the sr experience is rewarding.

Straight user here... I've got a cheap dovo full hollow and a vintage "spike" half hollow. Love the little spike razor. small and nimble.

+ Reply to Thread