Quantcast
How many Straight Razor users do we have here? - Page 5
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

I've been using a SR for about 1-1/2 yrs now. I've always enjoyed shaving, and never had any problems using the main stream 5-blade Gillete cartridges. I had always wanted to try a SR since I started shaving, and when I discovered Japanese knives, I found videos of Murray Carter shaving with his camp knife and other knives, and so I bit the bullet.

I use a basic Dovo, and I have a NOS something or other my father sent me that was sitting in a cabinet drawer for 40 years, and another Sheffield wedge I bought used at SRP. I mainly use the DOVO as it gives much better shaves that the other two I have. I now really only use Ogalalla soap, as it's inexpensive, natural, and builds a great lather. Their aftershave is awesome!

My shaves have been really up and down. At one point I had a really, really fine edge on my Dovo and was getting great, smooth shaves. Lately something I've been doing has screwed things up, and i've been getting razor burn, nicks, cuts and random gashes. I only have 1k, 4k, & 8K GS's and strop on 1 micorn boron, .5 micro chro, and leather (same as I have for knives, but use different techniques). Sometimes I get a decent edge, sometimes I don't. It's been frustrating. I really want to get some higher grit stones and diamond sprays for strops.

Funny thing is, on my other two razors, I can't get them as sharp as the Dovo using the same techniques, and the shaves aren't as smooth, but I don't get any razor burn, nicks or cuts.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Vintage and new steel sometimes want different handling on the stones, and pasted strops can help or hinder. Lots going on that may cause issues here. I'm heading to work but will throw out some ideas to try when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post

My shaves have been really up and down. At one point I had a really, really fine edge on my Dovo and was getting great, smooth shaves. Lately something I've been doing has screwed things up, and i've been getting razor burn, nicks, cuts and random gashes. I only have 1k, 4k, & 8K GS's and strop on 1 micorn boron, .5 micro chro, and leather (same as I have for knives, but use different techniques). Sometimes I get a decent edge, sometimes I don't. It's been frustrating. I really want to get some higher grit stones and diamond sprays for strops.

Funny thing is, on my other two razors, I can't get them as sharp as the Dovo using the same techniques, and the shaves aren't as smooth, but I don't get any razor burn, nicks or cuts.
    If you have a loupe or scope or other way to get decent magnification, you should take a look at the bevels of your razors at each stage of the honing process. You will be able to better determine when to stop at each level, I think that will improve your consistency.

As Mainaman pointed out the loupe is your friend. Unlike kitchen knives "close" doesn't cut it. One thing I think everyone who has been using a straight for a while will atest to is that not every razor style is for every user. Alot of personal preffrence gets mixed into the art of a straight razor experience. When your new to wet shaving it all pretty much feels the same, ether it's sharp or it's not. As you get used to the feel and start using a veriety of blade styles (yup those affected by RAD know this), you start noticing a prefference for the weight, grind, steel type, and more (not even going to touch on soaps yet ). All these things contribute to the experience, not to mention what happens on different types of stones. And this is where I fall into the two different schools of sharpness, angular cuts and rounded cuts.

Angular cuts are something you notice as an aggressive SHARPness, you get this from diamond sprays and synthetic stones for the most part. Rounded cuts are from Cro2 and many natural stones, and naturals gets into another big ball of sillyness (I fall into this area ) the shave is softer and smoother on the skin. Both get the job done and both are equilly good, personal prefference (and pocketbook) dictates what you settle with. But thats something you just have to try with many different razors on many different stones till you find YOUR magic bullet.

For me it's all about old sheffield steel on natural stones, Japanese prefered but european goodies such as the coticule also hold sway. My great grandfathers and grandfathers blades do very well on the coticule, both blades are also German based so there may be something there. For the first year I was using a straight razor I was hooked on US steel and using the Norton 4/8k stone. I got great shaves off an 8k stone and really if you do your part up to the 8k point, the shave is acceptable. Untill you get bitten by HAD (Hone Aquisition.. you get it )... So don't worry about getting higher end stones till you have mastered the 1k to 8k point, because if you don't have a shaveable edge off 1k, you will never reach it with higher grit stones.

i just got all the accesories for straight razor use. as in Preshave oil, shave cream,aftershave balm, brush,stand for brush,miller strop. and so on. cant say when i spent this much money so fast last time lol its like someone is laying a candytrail trap and im like "oh a piece of candy!, Oh a piece of candy, Oh a piece of candy, BAM 500$ haha. but i guess i have all i need now

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    i just got all the accesories for straight razor use. as in Preshave oil, shave cream,aftershave balm, brush,stand for brush,miller strop. and so on. cant say when i spent this much money so fast last time lol its like someone is laying a candytrail trap and im like "oh a piece of candy!, Oh a piece of candy, Oh a piece of candy, BAM 500$ haha. but i guess i have all i need now
    right , that is what I thought when I got my first everything

On the flip side, last year I spent about $20 to shave for one full year, just a couple pucks of soap

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    ...its like someone is laying a candytrail trap and im like "oh a piece of candy!, Oh a piece of candy, Oh a piece of candy, BAM 500$ haha.

haha thats what i was like.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    Straight user here... I've got a cheap dovo full hollow and a vintage "spike" half hollow. Love the little spike razor. small and nimble.

I just picked a Spike up after seeing this posted. I was surprised how quick it took a great edge.