Quantcast
How many Straight Razor users do we have here? - Page 34
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Keit great to hear you enjoying the DE shave.. i hurd good things about the blades Personna Lab Blues and Rapira Swedish Supersteel , 2 brands you should try for sure.

im jusing both aftershaves and balms. i like Dr.harrison Sandelwood alot, also TOBS Mr.Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post

LASTLY, nice looking addiction...er, collection you have started there, Matt. Remind me I want to send you a badger brush in the next week or so.
    Sorry Lefty I just noticed this, I made one with Cocobolo and badger and was about to post pics until Pierre and Magnus posted theirs and it made mine look likea pre schooler made it. Back to the drawing board, I am making a new one from some black wood that I hope turns out better than the first.

That being said, I am not sure there is much that can beat the badger hair. It really feels great. Curious as to what size most use. I made mine with a 22cm brush and it feels good to me, but I have seen some as large as 30 cm. Is there a performance difference with a larger knot?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    Keit great to hear you enjoying the DE shave.. i hurd good things about the blades Personna Lab Blues and Rapira Swedish Supersteel , 2 brands you should try for sure.

im jusing both aftershaves and balms. i like Dr.harrison Sandelwood alot, also TOBS Mr.Taylor.
    Thanks after a little research decided to order 100ml of the Dr. Harrison Sandelwood

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Thanks after a little research decided to order 100ml of the Dr. Harrison Sandelwood
    if you like sandelwood. harrison is top notch.

Here it is. i had this made with my local sadelmaker. im so happy with the result. 14 pockets / 2 week rotatation

Attachment 14083

Attachment 14085

Attachment 14084

Attachment 14086

Attachment 14087

That's awesome!

if you like sandelwood. harrison is top notch.
    Been using the Harrison sandlewood almost a week.Use very little,like it.This bottle should last me a long time.Been using the feather blade fr. Japan,it seems really sharp,today shaved a 2 day growth,very little resistance

New shave video. Enjoy joseph Rodgers 8/8

This is my initial venture into straight razor. Only the razors and Ozuku mizu are new, rest is recycled from knife sharpening gears.

I have been using a DE for a couple years now, and just ordered my first straight from Whipped Dog. I'm looking for advice on a high grit stone without spending a ton. Right now I have the Martell core set of Beston 500, Bester 1200, Rika 5K and a leather bench strop loaded with CrO2, I have a plain leather barber strop on the way with the razor. I'm thinking when it comes time to hone I might want a stone between the Rika 5K and the strop. I'm considering the Takenoko 8K, the Kitayama 8K, or the Ozuku Asagi natural stone. What's your advice? Or do I really need to go up to a 10K or 15K?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    I have been using a DE for a couple years now, and just ordered my first straight from Whipped Dog. I'm looking for advice on a high grit stone without spending a ton. Right now I have the Martell core set of Beston 500, Bester 1200, Rika 5K and a leather bench strop loaded with CrO2, I have a plain leather barber strop on the way with the razor. I'm thinking when it comes time to hone I might want a stone between the Rika 5K and the strop. I'm considering the Takenoko 8K, the Kitayama 8K, or the Ozuku Asagi natural stone. What's your advice? Or do I really need to go up to a 10K or 15K?

Thanks
    Unless you get involved in restoration, you'll never have any need for the three stones you have - they are all too too coarse for a final hone, and all you would do is just needlessly remove metal from a razor that just needs a touchup.

The razor you get should be shave ready, so you won't need to touch it to a stone for several months. Make a strop from a piece of balsa (a hobby store is a good place to get some) loaded with CrO. Use it to freshen the edge when you feel it needs it.

When the time comes to use a stone, I would suggest picking up a Naniwa SS 10K or 12K (the 10mm thickness is sufficient if you are budget minded). Yes, you can use an 8K, but your face won't thank you.

One more thing. IMO, the Whipped Dog plain leather strop is just barely functional, so you might consider a decent hanging strop with linen on one side and leather on the other.

Rick