Quantcast
How many Straight Razor users do we have here? - Page 35
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    Or do I really need to go up to a 10K or 15K?
    Many people, including myself, have shaved with 8k edge comfortably. I do step it up with SS 12k, 20k Gokumyo, and some CBN myself occasionally but I think that's more of an obsession than anything else.

TBH, the most important thing about straights is the pre-shave routine. Shaving with properly softened whiskers vs a dry hair can mean a world of difference. And it don't cost a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xuz View Post
    Many people, including myself, have shaved with 8k edge comfortably. I do step it up with SS 12k, 20k Gokumyo, and some CBN myself occasionally but I think that's more of an obsession than anything else.

TBH, the most important thing about straights is the pre-shave routine. Shaving with properly softened whiskers vs a dry hair can mean a world of difference. And it don't cost a thing.
    I don't do any preshave and the shaves are still great, it is all about the razor.

IMO a good prep gives a smoother shave .. sure you can shave without prep and get a good shave but its a fact it will be better if you done a good prep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    IMO a good prep gives a smoother shave .. sure you can shave without prep and get a good shave but its a fact it will be better if you done a good prep.
    Not saying do not prep, only saying it does not really change anything with well honed razor and good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Unless you get involved in restoration, you'll never have any need for the three stones you have - they are all too too coarse for a final hone, and all you would do is just needlessly remove metal from a razor that just needs a touchup.

The razor you get should be shave ready, so you won't need to touch it to a stone for several months. Make a strop from a piece of balsa (a hobby store is a good place to get some) loaded with CrO. Use it to freshen the edge when you feel it needs it.

When the time comes to use a stone, I would suggest picking up a Naniwa SS 10K or 12K (the 10mm thickness is sufficient if you are budget minded). Yes, you can use an 8K, but your face won't thank you.

One more thing. IMO, the Whipped Dog plain leather strop is just barely functional, so you might consider a decent hanging strop with linen on one side and leather on the other.

Rick
    Thanks Rick, looks like my next investment should be a better strop, what do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    Thanks Rick, looks like my next investment should be a better strop, what do you suggest?
    Tony Miller gets my recommendation: http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com

Latest Razor find. Cleaned up very well. and i like it alot

Name:  DSC03556_zpsdcc0ab29.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  18.6 KB

Nice find.
    I have that exact same razor.
    The edge you can put on this razor will surprise you every time.
    One of the only razors that I have that I can do a single pass of WTG and feel pretty good about going out to work.

If it's ok may I ask how what it cost you?

I find Filarmonica line of razors to have pretty soft steel, very easy to hone. I did restore this blade myself so I got it for a very good price. 200 euro. Know it's worth much more in this condition.

If anyone is interested I have a Straight over in the BST thread, please check it out.