Quantcast
How many Straight Razor users do we have here? - Page 35
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 398

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

  1. #341
    Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    Or do I really need to go up to a 10K or 15K?
    Many people, including myself, have shaved with 8k edge comfortably. I do step it up with SS 12k, 20k Gokumyo, and some CBN myself occasionally but I think that's more of an obsession than anything else.

    TBH, the most important thing about straights is the pre-shave routine. Shaving with properly softened whiskers vs a dry hair can mean a world of difference. And it don't cost a thing.

  2. #342
    Quote Originally Posted by xuz View Post
    Many people, including myself, have shaved with 8k edge comfortably. I do step it up with SS 12k, 20k Gokumyo, and some CBN myself occasionally but I think that's more of an obsession than anything else.

    TBH, the most important thing about straights is the pre-shave routine. Shaving with properly softened whiskers vs a dry hair can mean a world of difference. And it don't cost a thing.
    I don't do any preshave and the shaves are still great, it is all about the razor.

  3. #343
    Senior Member Mr.Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    874
    IMO a good prep gives a smoother shave .. sure you can shave without prep and get a good shave but its a fact it will be better if you done a good prep.

  4. #344
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    IMO a good prep gives a smoother shave .. sure you can shave without prep and get a good shave but its a fact it will be better if you done a good prep.
    Not saying do not prep, only saying it does not really change anything with well honed razor and good experience.

  5. #345
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Unless you get involved in restoration, you'll never have any need for the three stones you have - they are all too too coarse for a final hone, and all you would do is just needlessly remove metal from a razor that just needs a touchup.

    The razor you get should be shave ready, so you won't need to touch it to a stone for several months. Make a strop from a piece of balsa (a hobby store is a good place to get some) loaded with CrO. Use it to freshen the edge when you feel it needs it.

    When the time comes to use a stone, I would suggest picking up a Naniwa SS 10K or 12K (the 10mm thickness is sufficient if you are budget minded). Yes, you can use an 8K, but your face won't thank you.

    One more thing. IMO, the Whipped Dog plain leather strop is just barely functional, so you might consider a decent hanging strop with linen on one side and leather on the other.

    Rick
    Thanks Rick, looks like my next investment should be a better strop, what do you suggest?

  6. #346
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,986
    Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    Thanks Rick, looks like my next investment should be a better strop, what do you suggest?
    Tony Miller gets my recommendation: http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com

  7. #347
    Senior Member Mr.Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    874
    Latest Razor find. Cleaned up very well. and i like it alot

    Name:  DSC03556_zpsdcc0ab29.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  18.6 KB

  8. #348
    Nice find.
    I have that exact same razor.
    The edge you can put on this razor will surprise you every time.
    One of the only razors that I have that I can do a single pass of WTG and feel pretty good about going out to work.

    If it's ok may I ask how what it cost you?

  9. #349
    Senior Member Mr.Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    874
    I find Filarmonica line of razors to have pretty soft steel, very easy to hone. I did restore this blade myself so I got it for a very good price. 200 euro. Know it's worth much more in this condition.

  10. #350
    Senior Member wellminded1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St.John's , Newfoundland
    Posts
    376
    If anyone is interested I have a Straight over in the BST thread, please check it out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •