Quantcast
How many Straight Razor users do we have here? - Page 38
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

I've picked up one couple months ago, Japanese straight razor. Still suffering, but slowly improving.

nice looking Harner there Tom

my new toy

Nice one.
    Maximilian sure makes a fine razor!

Thanks. yes he sure dose.

New to the straight razor scene. Been lurking B&B for a few months and asking our generous forum members questions - thanks Magnus and Chris. I am now 5 shaves in and am loving it! Still have a ton of learning to do but it is well worth the effort! My starting razor is a champ.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ighlight=Razor

Looking forward to more!

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I've picked up one couple months ago, Japanese straight razor. Still suffering, but slowly improving.

I've always wondered how one uses a right handed razor on your own face? You would obviously switch hands right? That means using the opposite side backwards? I wonder if these razors are meant to have someone else shave you?

I've always been curious about this, anyone please jump in here and set me straight (see what I did there?).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I've always wondered how one uses a right handed razor on your own face? You would obviously switch hands right? That means using the opposite side backwards? I wonder if these razors are meant to have someone else shave you?

I've always been curious about this, anyone please jump in here and set me straight (see what I did there?).
    The traditional way of using a wa-kamisori is to use only one hand.
    That, naturally, means that you'd shave with various angles of approach depending on what part you are working.
    One might say that this will leave a sub-par shave compared to western ground razors, but it is amazing what one can do with some practice

The whole with the grind/across the grind/against the grind symmetrical approach much of us use would be very tricky with a kamisori, but good prep and and tech with the shallow-angled and super-sharp kamisoris goes a long way to reaching that BBS feeling.

Check out Jim Rion's vids on youtube, he does it the traditional way with a kamisori

They was originally design to shave head not a beard.

you can use kamisori on either side only the angle changes from side to side.
    Here a video of a barber in Japan that use both sides.