How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Magnus

Reaction score
I just shaved with a straight razor and damn i fell in looooove. never going back to the gillette :p i already have 3 and looking for another one, a MK33, if any of you guys have one let me know :)
how many of you guys owns and use a straight razor?

My C.V Heljestrand MK30 (next to a friends MK31)
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/bild8.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/bild-1.jpg

My C.V Heljestrand MK32
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/bild7.jpg

My hereditary from grandpas dad C.V Heljestrand J.A Hellberg sweden 42 (On Rescale to wood)
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-19210135.jpg

I have been shaving with straights for the last few years now.
Including my head:)

I can totally understand your desire to own a MK33, it is among my favorite shavers.
My specimen was found at a auction site near you, all NOS with Ivory scales.
It wasn't more than about 30 bucks either;)
(the owner thought it was plastic scales on it)

its hard to find the NOS MK's and when you do most ppl know about it and the bidwar begins :p

i have no idea what that is haha

You may find yourself acquiring a large collection of hones (stones) for use with your straights. Japanese naturals, Eschers, Thuringians, a 30k Shapton Pro, coticules, Swaty barber hones - and more. It can get out of hand, and when it does, you have caught HAD.

You may find yourself acquiring a large collection of hones (stones) for use with your straights. Japanese naturals, Eschers, Thuringians, a 30k Shapton Pro, coticules, Swaty barber hones - and more. It can get out of hand, and when it does, you have caught HAD.

You forgot to also mention SRAD

haha alright now i get it :D thanks.

Been thinking about trying straight razors out. Are they really that much better than the cheap Gillette I use? I'd be worried about slicing parts of my face off with a straight razor!

Been thinking about trying straight razors out. Are they really that much better than the cheap Gillette I use? I'd be worried about slicing parts of my face off with a straight razor!

you cant get a better shave its a hole other level of shaving and you will feel strange the first time cuz your not use to beeing this smooth as u get :p

you cant get a better shave its a hole other level of shaving and you will feel strange the first time cuz your not use to beeing this smooth as u get :p
Thanks. I did not want to hear that. This spells trouble.

For me shaving with a straight vs. a DE transformed shaving from being a chore to something I actually look forward to, even though it does take a me a little longer. Not like the result is THAT much better but I really enjoy the process and the attention/focus it commands. It is also one of the few ways to be completely bad-ass in your bathroom.

If you just want to give it a try go to http://www.whippeddog.com/ and get his sight unseen starter kit. It will get you started for $55 (you might want to get a brush too) and you will get a perfect sense of what it is all about.

I just started two weeks ago and I'm sold. I think after using a knife for so long, using a straight to shave just feels natural.

The whipped dog deal is great.

I dabble, but I'm a minimalist, when it comes to straights.

Same here, Only use a straight now, but i don't have to be clean shaven everyday to work in my shop. Like to take my time, save up the face fungus, nice sharp smooth shaving razor....Male pampering at its best:D

Here my biggest acquisitions
Iwasaki Swedish and Tamahagane western both NOS

1zzszv4.jpg

21lpstz.jpg

sy2e6h.jpg

Here here. Currently using a Wostenholm Peerless. I've got fine hair, so shaving is not as much of a challenge for me.

Many years now, I cannot even think of going back to a cartrige. I got hooked soon after I discovered Japanese knives and have not shaved with anything else sence than. Something about the whole rutine that really captivates me, I love all the aspects of straight razor shaving. Many here and on other forums got hooked about the same time and we all had a great time bouncing back and forth about kitchen knives and straight razors. It's really cool that it's still rippling around this pond :)

I'm more hooked on vintage razors and only have one brand new razor, the SRP limited edition TI, most of my everyday shavers are 1850's ish and a couple late 1700's/very early 1800's. Just like my kitchen knives, if it doesn't show some wear/battle scars I'll not be interested in it. And carbon RULES!!! :p For a while I was doing videos of all my razors in use... I need to get the camera out and do more advanced videos someday lol.

TorreyBicycleRace.jpg

Next one to rebuild :)

damn nice razors! where did you find that Tamahagane western and how much did you pay for it :D
Got them from Japan, I got real lucky and payed much less than what they usually go for, I have seen other NOS ones go for $1700 "buy it now" @ auctions.
Those are super rare, people collect them and very very rarely one will find a western Iwasaki tamahagane for sale. By the way Shigefusa was a student under Iwasaki and took part in making some of those razors.

Just pulled the trigger on the Whipped Dog deal. I have much to learn. And am more worried about HAD than RAD at the moment -- though I don't know (yet) how to hone razors. This weekend I'll go at my first shave with a straight.

Got them from Japan, I got real lucky and payed much less than what they usually go for, I have seen other NOS ones go for $1700 "buy it now" @ auctions.
Those are super rare, people collect them and very very rarely one will find a western Iwasaki tamahagane for sale. By the way Shigefusa was a student under Iwasaki and took part in making some of those razors.

congratz on the good deal. yeah i think aframestokyo had one for sale at 1080$

Just pulled the trigger on the Whipped Dog deal. I have much to learn. And am more worried about HAD than RAD at the moment -- though I don't know (yet) how to hone razors. This weekend I'll go at my first shave with a straight.

i think u will ask yourself why you didnt start doing it earlier, let us hear about it when u had it :)

Back