Combinations in knife steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
I was reading about the fine carbides in AEB-L razor steel.Listed C-carbon,Si-Silicon,Mn.-Manganese,Cr-Chromium,P-max,S-max.Can anyone tell me what P-max & S-max are?I see these listed in some other steels as well,don't know what it is.:scratchhead:

They stand for elements. P is for phosphorous and S is for sulfur. I believe that because phosphorous and sulfur are contaminants the P-max and S-max are the maximum amount allowed in a batch of steel. It could be less but it can't be more than _x_ value.

And AJ beat me to it.

You need to be careful reading "specs" on the internet.

If you see ranges for each element, most likely that is a spec... if all the elements list a range but one or two list a single number, such as 0.015 for P, that single value is a maximum limit.

If all the elements are listed with a single number that is not a specification. Those are nominal values for each element.

-AJ

You need to be careful reading "specs" on the internet.

If you see ranges for each element, most likely that is a spec... if all the elements list a range but one or two list a single number, such as 0.015 for P, that single value is a maximum limit.

If all the elements are listed with a single number that is not a specification. Those are nominal values for each element.

-AJ

Thanks,I got a blade wt. this steel,thinned it,takes a sharp edge like carbon.It's edge holding is decent,was wondering what was in it.

Back