Cheap CBN and Diamond slurrys from US Products

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhay

Reaction score
For all you stropping nuts out there. Just received some .25 CBN and .125 DuPont diamond lapping slurrys from us-products.com. It's about $6 bucks for 50 grams, or just shy of two ounces of the heavy concentrate stuff. You can get in water or oil, I prefer water. Shipping is extra, mine was around $8. Just a heads up :doublethumbsup:

Have not used yet, but quite excited to try soon!

img8227i.jpg

Anyone ever try this?
Or know of any other good deals on diamond slurries?
Thanks

I bought the 100gr verion and have been using both diamond & cbn slurry oil base for the last 6 months. The oil is smelly for a couple weeks, leave it outdoor help. Initially I smear the stuff onto balsa & leather using finger or table-knife, after that I put them in a spray bottle then spray + smear. The oil reduces surface friction for stropping, hence smoother strokes.

Diamond cuts very aggressively (much more than water base diamond suspension at the same grit), edge feels bity off 0.25um. CBN cuts very fast too (less than diamond slurry but more than diamond suspension). Edge off CBN is smooth + very shiny mirror bevel. Both abrasives slurry continue to cuts well when the strop is loaded with swarf (blacken). I end up with quite a few rounded but most annoying are wire-edge (sub 2 micron kind), not easy to correct either case.

Recently, I switched to diamond suspension & compound (water base) charged onto surfaces for hone & strop (12um to 0.1um mono&poly diamond). In this form, abrasive cuts slower but I don't have to deal with rounded & wire edge for over 98% of the time.

So that is were I was getting those from.:mad:

I noticed a few days after I sharpened that I had some micro wire edges. I knew I didn't have any when I finished, but now I think back I didn't check after I stropped. I guess I need to do some less stropping.

Thanks guys!! Is the compound a suspension?

I am not sure the exact qty of abrasive in compound or slurry products.

Form:

* Compound = abrasives + small amt of lubricant. e.g. 5gr of abrasive + 1gr of gel detergent.

* Slurry = abrasives + large amt of lubricant. e.g. 5gr of abrasive added to 120gr of low viscosity mixture of oil or water solution.

* Suspension = abrasives + large amt of lubricant. e.g. 5gr of abrasive added to 120gr of high viscosity mixture of water+gel alcohol+wax. This company doesn't offers products in this form.

I bought some of there diamond slurry, the heavy is still very low concentration, I won't buy from them again. BTW, cbn is no good for finishing an edge, draws a wire as already mentioned, even usproducts owner told me not to use it for stropping. You could try putting it on mylar and do edge-leading strokes.

oh goodness I just saw this post is ancient.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Nikabrik, post: 600498, member: 37034" pricing is $10/40g with free shipping. I'm not sure how the value works out [/QUOTE]

The jar lid in picture is marked: 2%, 1micron. You have bought 40 grams total for $10, which works out to .8 grams of diamond dust in 38 grams of grease/oil or whatever the carrier is.

$10 for .8g of diamond = $12.50 per gram of active ingredient vs. 5 grams for $5 shipped, which is $1 per gram- But it's WAY more convenient to handle and SAFER than trying to use the dry, loose micron sized diamond powder.

Annything smaller than around 10 microns can get past the cillia in your airways and go all the way down into the alveoli. Where it will stay, untill/unless a white cell decides to take it out.

https://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/outdoor/air-pollution/particle-pollution.html

I have NO idea what a human white blood cell thinks about encountering diamond dust inside your lungs.

(Edit- The jury's still out on any bad effect from ingested diamond dust. See the link, but READ THE END PART FIRST. Material at the beginning of link is all superstition, hearsay, not verified by testing and probably false)

http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMIIA/15.1.1.htm

I HAVE seen tests that show laboratory animals which breathed in micron/sub micron Aluminum particles OR Aluminum oxide grit in any quantity are detectably lower on some white cell counts for a while afterwards.

Last edited:
The jar lid in picture is marked: 2%, 1micron. You have bought 40 grams total for $10, which works out to .8 grams of diamond dust in 38 grams of grease/oil or whatever the carrier is.

$10 for .8g of diamond = $12.50 per gram of active ingredient vs. 5 grams for $5 shipped, which is $1 per gram- But it's WAY more convenient to handle and SAFER than trying to use the dry, loose micron sized diamond powder.

Ah, that totally makes sense. Is 2% a pretty typical diamond content level, or are they stretching it more than normal?

Latest posts

Back