XLG Bog Oak Blocks - Carbon Dated 5460 Years Old

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I just finished posting a new batch of Ancient Bog Oak Blocks in our web store. These blocks are 6" long by 2&1/2" wide by 1&1/4" thick.
Big enough for a large handled knife or possibly two smaller handle knives. These blocks are natural wood, they have not been stabilized. They are dry and ready to use. If you need stabilized pieces I should have some back from getting stabilized by K&G in about a month.

These Bog Oak blocks are the most recent ones that I imported from the Ukraine. Very dark black and charcoal coloring with some nice rays and flecks figure. Included with each block you will receive a hard copy of the carbon dating report for this 5460 year old piece of Bog Oak. This is some of the best quality Bog Oak I have ever seen. Bog Oak are old oak trees that settled into the muck in the bottom of waterways thousands of years ago. As it sat in the muck the wood absorbs minerals and turns darker colors. Usually the oldest pieces are the darkest.

This first batch that I posted are figured with rays and flecks. In my opinion the nicest ones of the batch. So they are also the most expensive ones at $70 each. I will be adding more that are not figured for $10 less. Probably during the day on Wednesday.

This may be some of the rarest wood you and I will ever see.

Click on the photo to go to where they are located in the store.

Hmm....I think your website is having a little problem at the moment (at least it is for me).

HTTP Status 400 - Unable to determine shard

type Status report

message Unable to determine shard

description The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect (Unable to determine shard).
PS App/1.5.31

Mark, do you have any photos of finished handles in this material?
Looks interesting, but other than its history how much different is it than any other black wood?

Mario used a piece in this thread.
At 1st glance looks black or charcoal colored. When the light hits from different angles the wood has a luster that will show areas of different coloring.
and.....folklore says it has magical properties for healing and protection to the owner.

Hmm....I think your website is having a little problem at the moment (at least it is for me).

There were server issues last night around 8pm which have been corrected.

Well, It looks like most of the figured blocks from last night have sold already.

I just finished adding a couple dozen more blocks. Most of these are priced a bit lower.
Still just as big and really good looking.

[video=youtube_share;Xw7D7L2LnMI]http://youtu.be/Xw7D7L2LnMI[/video]

Nice stuff for sure :) I'm thinking razor scales but thats just me LOL

The non stabilized stuff should be ok for kitchen knife handles, correct? How long out are the stabilized pieces?

The non stabilized stuff should be ok for kitchen knife handles, correct? How long out are the stabilized pieces?
Hardness and durability is a lot like it would be with walnut.
If you use natural be sure to do a good finish to play it safe.
Probably a couple weeks for the next batch of stabilized BO.

Ok, I'll wait on the stabilized stuff then!

Back