Neal's Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend here pestered me to post my knives. Unlike cooking, I feel a little out of my element here. Some of you may recognize your old knives from BST, and my apologies to vendors whose orders and WIP aren’t shown.

My first knives. Inherited collection of Sabatier’s….spanning mid 70’s to 2005 (I bought that one). Can you guess which three are stainless?

IMG_3465.JPG

Hattori. Forum cleaver, HD Damascus Gyuto, Forum suji. The HD gyuto was my first Japanese knife. My wife bought it for me a couple of years ago at JCK. It’s the knife that got me hooked. And Koki was so nice to her she doesn't really have an issue with this new obsession.

IMG_3482.JPG

Smaller knives. Fujiwara Maboroshi No Meito Gyuto and Yoshikane clad Paring knife. If you have large hands, the handle on the Yoshikane is huge for it’s size.

IMG_3512.JPG

Fish slicers: Zakuri Takohiki, Kitaoka Damascus Yanagi, Masamoto Shiro-ko Honyaki Yanagi.

IMG_3531.JPG

That's all for now. As you can see I'm no knife photographer...sorry for the tomatoes lol.

Wow, great collection Neal!

What do you think of your Hattori cleaver?

And why doesn't your Carter have a new suit yet? ;)

Beautiful knives Neal! Which of the gyuto's is your overall favorite?

JBG - love the cleaver. My only point of reference is an older CCK that I've had opportunity to use, but not own. From my recollection the CCK is considerably lighter. I've also held a Takeda cleaver, but not used. It was also much lighter. The Hattori weighs over a pound - I can't imagine it being an all day knife. However it makes very fast work of heavy tough foods like butternut squash.

Funny you mention the Carter - I only just received it a short while ago, but I am thinking about a new handle.

And yes - those are the sizes of the gyutos.

China - If I had to pick a favorite it would be a toss up between the Devin and the Gengetsu 240, with probably the nod to the DT.

Great knives and variety.

Thanks for posting!

My first knives. Inherited collection of Sabatier’s….spanning mid 70’s to 2005 (I bought that one). Can you guess which three are stainless?

IMG_3465.JPG

No guesses yet? Okay, I'd say the 2nd, 3rd and 5th ones down from the top. ... No, wait. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Looks like some patina on #5. ... Ahh, jeez. Okay, now I'll go with #2, 3 and 4. #4 has a lot of stratches like it's been through a lot - patina removal? - but the handles on those look newer and I'm guessing it's the older ones that are carbon. Where's my prize?

No guesses yet? Okay, I'd say the 2nd, 3rd and 5th ones down from the top. ... No, wait. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Looks like some patina on #5. ... Ahh, jeez. Okay, now I'll go with #2, 3 and 4. #4 has a lot of stratches like it's been through a lot - patina removal? - but the handles on those look newer and I'm guessing it's the older ones that are carbon. Where's my prize?

LOL Cutty. Good guesses. Top knife is carbon, and the newest :D 4 and 5 are old, and carbon.

Stainless are the 2nd, 3rd and 6th.

Back