Quantcast
Good steel and BBQ- more fustration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good steel and BBQ- more fustration

Good steel and BBQ- more fustration

As an avid BBQ-ist, I have been having an ongoing problem with "the crust" and my good knives.
    I often blow the edge on the first few cuts. I have done some work around, like pre cut the crust with a serrated knife/German knife, remove bottom crust and slice upside down & ect.
    On the bench I have worked with Dave on a number of schemes to address this, leaving the knife toothy (not acceptable as the slices are no good ) varying the edge angle, meticulously removing the burr.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Gents.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a western deba or a honesuki, two knives that love a challenge.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Can you even slice a packer brisket with a honesuki? I use the 300 Hiro now.

Yeah, a honesuki is useless for slicing, but it will take anything you don't want out of your way in a hurry. Having cut through a tough crust and still glide through tender meat is quite a dilemma.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

A few years ago, Andy mentioned in a conversation that one of the advantages he saw to a chopping cleaver was that it had a stronger, tougher edge, then a slicing cleaver. Best guess, was that the extra metal behind the edge provided a good foundation.

At our family gatherings, typically chicken, pork, and steak, are grilled. Often the meat is sliced just minutes before serving. I bought a Hattori suji, for these occasions. The first time I used it, I came away with impression that it was on the fragile side. I wanted a knife that I could use without worrying about it, or having to baby.

Remembering the chopping cleaver, I wanted a heavier knife then a suji. Blue steel is known for being tough. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money on a knife, which was going to be abused. I went with a Moritaka double beveled Kiritsuke. I liked the idea of an aggressive tip. At a family party, I sliced 50 pounds of grilled chicken, boneless breasts and thighs, in less then an hour. Maybe not restaurant times, but I'm happy with it, and the knife.

If I had to do it over again, I'd find the Zakuri line from JKI, to be real tempting, especially that double edge yanigiba. I'd bought the Moritaka before Jon officially opened his business.

It would probably be overkill, but the steel on my Mizuno cleaver really has been impressing me with its toughness. I could see myself justifying a 270 Mizuno gyuto as a barbecue knife.

Jay

Jim, I use my Phil Wilson for the briskets. Does a fabulous job trimming and decent with the bark. Sometimes it needs just a little help getting started, but the damn thing could go a whole competition season without needing a sharpening, right Dave ?

what's a brisket and what's a 'crust'? i think we have very different methods of bbqing in australia!

I was thinking about this the other day when I was slicing a piece of beef. It had a really thick crust on it and it was covered in cracked pepper, so that made it even worse. The thin gyuto I had was not sounding very confident as it went through the crust. A honesuki, or even better a garasuki would have been good, but the shape is pretty inconvenient for slicing if you're going to use it all the time. I do have another Masamoto gyuto that someone left in my kitchen a few years ago that is really thick. I'm sure they have another name for it besides gyuto, but it's over 1/8" thick at the top (It's a 300mm knife). I have a fairly obtuse bevel angle on that knife but it still cuts well. If I were going to cut crusty meat all day that's probably what I would invest in.

Brisket is a cut of beef that is usually tough and a bit of a challenge to be both tender and moist after cooking. It's often a requirement in BBQ competitions.

ah cheers. we have so many good cattle running around here that i guess we can be choosy. i almost exclusively cook rib on the bone

+ Reply to Thread