Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We need your help (read:opinion)

The web site is geared towards knife enthusiasts, which is great for many of us on the forum. A lot of the questions on the forum on from people wanting to upgrade their knives from either German or the entry level Japapense, i.e. Global to a nicer Japanese brand. When I first stumbled into ITK, the terms were almost over whelming. Yo-Deba, Wa-Gyuto, Blue Steel, White Steel, Geometry, Profile, Laser, Work Horse.

A brief description of the types of knives. What is a Nakiri? Maybe a video, showing tasks, where it excels. What kind of users might find a Nakiri to be helpful?

What types of knife should a beginner be considering? What makes a good beginners knife? What techniques should a beginner concentrate on? The same type of questions could be used for intermediate and advanced users.

Jay

Not to try and make you go crazy with too many suggestions, but as others have alluded to, I think if you had a bit more stuff or even videos about the makers of your knives it would be very interesting. I think what makes guys like you and Maxim different is that you are so close to the makers and really understand why their knives are so good

I've hesitated to mention this because of the scope of the project but the black background on the site and photos is not the best for readability for me or the best to highlight the photos of the knives. Maybe a survey for preferences on this? Since you are planning a rebuild.... The black background is almost branding for you, but good photos I think would make a big difference since most of us don't get to visit in person and we buy based photos, narratives, and reviews.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i have plans to have someone redo the website with better coding early next year... sorry about all that. I wrote the whole thing myself and clearly i'm not the best at it
    Actually, now I'm kinda impressed...you did a great job for someone not in the industry.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    I've hesitated to mention this because of the scope of the project but the black background on the site and photos is not the best for readability for me or the best to highlight the photos of the knives. Maybe a survey for preferences on this? Since you are planning a rebuild.... The black background is almost branding for you, but good photos I think would make a big difference since most of us don't get to visit in person and we buy based photos, narratives, and reviews.

From this viewer's perspective, an elephant in the room remains the dark images/contrast, and image size... like trying to view a map by candlelight in a cave.

Also (as long as you are asking ), perhaps an incentive for buyers to leave a review or feedback to boost the quantity ?

I would really like to see Sara show how to wrap knives(whether in Sayas or not) in those cloth things for storage and travel. That sounds like a really fun part of the J-Knife hobby.

I'd like to see closer shots of the knives in your videos. I think you provide great detail and have a clear voice in your videos. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind your mug in the shots. But, I think if you were to shoot using a table tripod or table dolly to get close ups on your knives then your explanations and details mentioned in the video while viewing the knives will make the videos more useful. I tend to listen to what you say in video then pull up the pictures on your site after watching the videos so I can get a better view of the points you highlighted. Also, +1 with what Seth said and the other post about viewing the site on an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    The web site is geared towards knife enthusiasts, which is great for many of us on the forum. A lot of the questions on the forum on from people wanting to upgrade their knives from either German or the entry level Japapense, i.e. Global to a nicer Japanese brand. When I first stumbled into ITK, the terms were almost over whelming. Yo-Deba, Wa-Gyuto, Blue Steel, White Steel, Geometry, Profile, Laser, Work Horse.

A brief description of the types of knives. What is a Nakiri? Maybe a video, showing tasks, where it excels. What kind of users might find a Nakiri to be helpful?

What types of knife should a beginner be considering? What makes a good beginners knife? What techniques should a beginner concentrate on? The same type of questions could be used for intermediate and advanced users.

Jay

To offer constructive criticism of the videos, I'm not sure that your new format with the close-up of your face best shows of the knives. You've become a great presenter on camera, but we don't get to much about the knives. You hold the knives up in front of your face for a short time, turn them around a but, and then put them down. It would be nice to see the knives in a close-up shot and in a slower presentation.

I think some of the earlier video formats, such as the Hide video, offer a better view of the product being shown and discussed. Or, as rsacco suggests above, doing table shots of the knives. This would perhaps require cutting the sequence from a shot of you talking about the maker to a close-up shot while you describe the knife. The two videos you just linked above do a great job of showing the knives' shape, profile, etc. With your new shooting equipment and editing skills, this would be even better!

AFA products go, I'd personally like to see one of your makers do a hon-kasumi KS profile 240-270 gyuto with stainless (or low-reactive) cladding and some super-steel core, like AS, ZDP-189, etc.

For stones, I'm really don't know. There's so much more to that whole realm, even more than with knives! You've already got many great stones, and there are so many others out there, I'm not sure what to even ask for or suggest. Perhaps a video of a basic overview of the stones you carry, which are soakers, which are splash-n-go, and the general characteristics of each. Also, suggest some stone progressions for different needs and what the results would be.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Impressive.

How about a little video tour of the store? I can't quite picture the layout...

+1

Maybe you should get some sleep first though and execute a wardrobe change.
    i can probably do something like that at some point... gotta get a merlin first though... anyone want to donate to the cause? :P

if you dont know what a merlin is, click here http://www.tiffen.com/handheldmerlin.html