Quantcast
We need your help (read:opinion) - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: We need your help (read:opinion)

  1. #31
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by markenki View Post
    Not exactly what you asked for, but here are a couple of suggestions for the website:
    1. When you hover over the main menu items (like "By Type"), you get a dropdown of the different types, but if instead of hovering, you click on "By Type" it takes you to a the items page. It would great to be able to select the different types after clicking. Not a big deal on a computer with a mouse, but a real pain on a device like a Kindle.
    2. Would love to see a comparative (written text) summary of each of the product lines you carry. What makes each of Ginga, Heiji, Hide, etc., unique? What are each of their strengths?

    Thanks,

    Mark
    see my earlier comment on the coding, but as for the summary of each product line, i think i can manage that. Maybe this sunday if i can find the time.

  2. #32
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    To offer constructive criticism of the videos, I'm not sure that your new format with the close-up of your face best shows of the knives. You've become a great presenter on camera, but we don't get to much about the knives. You hold the knives up in front of your face for a short time, turn them around a but, and then put them down. It would be nice to see the knives in a close-up shot and in a slower presentation.

    I think some of the earlier video formats, such as the Hide video, offer a better view of the product being shown and discussed. Or, as rsacco suggests above, doing table shots of the knives. This would perhaps require cutting the sequence from a shot of you talking about the maker to a close-up shot while you describe the knife. The two videos you just linked above do a great job of showing the knives' shape, profile, etc. With your new shooting equipment and editing skills, this would be even better!

    AFA products go, I'd personally like to see one of your makers do a hon-kasumi KS profile 240-270 gyuto with stainless (or low-reactive) cladding and some super-steel core, like AS, ZDP-189, etc.

    For stones, I'm really don't know. There's so much more to that whole realm, even more than with knives! You've already got many great stones, and there are so many others out there, I'm not sure what to even ask for or suggest. Perhaps a video of a basic overview of the stones you carry, which are soakers, which are splash-n-go, and the general characteristics of each. Also, suggest some stone progressions for different needs and what the results would be.
    this kind of multiple shot video requires me to do some video editing (which i dont do now)... i think i can make it work. The main reason i did the closer shot wasnt to focus on my face, but to allow the knives to fill more of the screen when i hold them up. I do agree that i move them in and out pretty quickly... maybe i can hold them up for a longer time or maybe i can shoot a separate video of just the knives.

    On the new knife design, i have quite a few things in development right now and i think one or two may fit the bill.

    Also, on stones, i have plans to do a general stone overview video as soon as i have the time. In fact, in addition to the things all of you have suggested, i have a long list of things i plan on doing.

  3. #33
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,050
    it seems i missed gesshin uraku... i'll try to get that done this weekend with a few other things i've been working on

  4. #34
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    521
    Jon, thanks for all the new videos. It does help to hear about all your different lines in detail and it can't be easy to crank all of this info out on video this quickly.

  5. #35

  6. #36
    Senior Member Namaxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lenox, MA
    Posts
    621
    I'm late to this thread, but here are my requests:

    More Gengetsu....you've addressed this and it might be in the works.

    Wa handled Fujiwara - eg their No Meito knives for example.

    Wa handled PM knives - I know you just introduced your first western handled PM blades....those are just my thoughts.

    Finally...you may already do this...but polishing and/or engraving. I recently bought a knife as a gift for someone that was mirror finished and had a small engraving added to it.

  7. #37
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by markenki View Post
    Not exactly what you asked for, but here are a couple of suggestions for the website:
    1. When you hover over the main menu items (like "By Type"), you get a dropdown of the different types, but if instead of hovering, you click on "By Type" it takes you to a the items page. It would great to be able to select the different types after clicking. Not a big deal on a computer with a mouse, but a real pain on a device like a Kindle.
    2. Would love to see a comparative (written text) summary of each of the product lines you carry. What makes each of Ginga, Heiji, Hide, etc., unique? What are each of their strengths?

    Thanks,

    Mark
    we just finished adding a bunch of general brand descriptions to our site... there may be a few left to do, but i think i got most of them. Take a look and let me know what you guys think.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,207
    Looks good so far. Gesshin Kagero is spelled 'Kaegro' in the "Knives-by brand" drop-down menu and the top of the description.

  9. #39
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Namaxy View Post
    I'm late to this thread, but here are my requests:

    More Gengetsu....you've addressed this and it might be in the works.

    Wa handled Fujiwara - eg their No Meito knives for example.

    Wa handled PM knives - I know you just introduced your first western handled PM blades....those are just my thoughts.

    Finally...you may already do this...but polishing and/or engraving. I recently bought a knife as a gift for someone that was mirror finished and had a small engraving added to it.
    more gengetsu is indeed in the works

    considering the fujiwara stuff, but its a big overlap with gengetsu... just something to keep in mind

    on the stainless clad super steel thing, i have a craftsman in mind and am currently working on this

    and on the polishing/engraving, we can always order knives this way, but polishing can be very time consuming. Thats not to say we cant do this, but usually when you see this on knives, its done by the maker. Otherwise, it would be people paying for a couple of hours of my time. on the engraving, i'm actually training and practicing this, but its a lot harder than people give it credit for and not being great at kanji isnt helping me... but we are practicing...

  10. #40
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Looks good so far. Gesshin Kagero is spelled 'Kaegro' in the "Knives-by brand" drop-down menu and the top of the description.
    thanks for the heads up... this is now fixed

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts