Beater Preferences

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanusInTheGarden

Reaction score
Noticed an interesting thread in the B/S/T forum. You can feel free to read it, but the OP was asking for beater recommendations/sales and didn't receive the answers I expected him to receive. Thats probably because his was directed at learning to sharpen/spend more time on the stones but the question is still interesting in terms of having a beater for work. He was immediately told that VG10 is a PITA option and that white was a good route to go. Someone suggested white is a good route to go only if you don't mind getting spoiled with how easy it is to sharpen carbons. Recommendations continued.

So I figured this would be a good time for a little informal polling. What do you guys like to have most in a beater knife? Do you just go cheap and german or do you get a knife you actually like but didn't pay too much for? White steel? Just use a laser for everything? Is your beater your line knife? What do you like?

I've been using a 210 Tojiro VG10 and I kind of don't like using it all that much but I rationalize it by saying that its the purpose of a beater.

Good thread idea, even for those of us who aren't "on the job"!

Without actually owning one (yet), I'll say "Sakai Yusuke shironiko suji," maybe 240 to 270.

I hope this is the type of answer you are looking for. I have several categories of knives in my household. Some, which include Globals and Lamsons (Lamson and Goodnow), are knives that I simply dislike and don't use, so they get pulled out from time to time when you're gong to abuse a knife.

Others - and I think this is the type of knife you are asking about - are knives that I use, but I don't mind being rough on, and don't mind being a little crude with the sharpening. These are my old stainless Sabatiers. The profile is nice to cut with - much better than German - but the knives are kind of indestrucible. So you have a knife you can live with cutting, but one that is cheapish and resiliant, so you never baby it.

I go for tough (chip-resistant) and stainless, e.g. Yoshihiro/Gesshin Uraku.

My beaters are still the two wusthoffs left in my bag. An 8 in chef and 6 in utility both with the old grand prix handles which are still one of my favorites handle wise.

And my Yoshihiro/GU is my prized knife... comes down to disposable cash I guess. My beater is an old Wusthof Classic. It's my ersatz chef de chef at least. Barely comes out pf a cupboard, though. Similar but totally different, a CCK small cleaver.

Carbon Sab's and stainless Henckels, both are pretty indestructible, though I prefer the Sab's.

Carbon Sabs here too. Use it for everything from cracking mud crabs to working the line.

Cheers,
Josh

Globals, Shun, calphalon and Wustoffs that I got on sale... :plus1:

When I hear "beater" i think of something to split lobsters with, or hack up duck bones. For me, that's an old Suisin 240 carbon yo-deba. It must weigh 16 pounds and has actually split a poly cutting board once in its past. If I'm lOaning a knife to someone, it's either an old henkel or mercer that I don't really mind getting broken or lost.

A stainless Henckel or two. You can leave it wet/dirty, don't mind others using it and is still up to the task of decent cutting most of the time. I use mine every day. I'm only partial to the Henckels with the blade guard thingy 'cause you can pop open cans and metal olive oil containers with 'em.

my globals. They for some reason take a great beating, stay sharp for a decent amount of time. I just hate sharpening them.

DT ITK 270mm AEB-L gyuto or Gengetsu 210mm semi stainless gyuto.

I have also been using my 180 mioroshi deba (unknown maker, eBay special) as a line knife lately. My station has to slice pork tenderloin and debone chix breast, works well for both, can take a beating and has knuckle clearance for any other odd jobs I'd needed (yeah Jon, I know it's not supposed to be used like a gyuto, but my 210mm yanagi was sustaining too much damage when used as a line knife).

Last time I had to split lobsters was at my aunts house. At work we get 1.25# softshells, so you can just use your hands, but she had seven 3#ers. Only knives I brought were a Tsourkan gyuto and my Rader scimy, so I used the Rader to split them. Worked well and no damage to the blade.

The dirty work gets done in my house with either an 8" Henckels vier sterne chef, a heavy, stainless cleaver from the local chinese market or if I don't mind some discoloration, a 250 mm Fowler gyuto in W2.

A beater should be tough, sharpen easily, sturdy construction, and inexpensive enough so you don't feel the need to treat it like a snowflake.

JohnnyChance... are you having us on? Those are high end beaters!
I feel a little like I'm listening to Spinal Tap for the first time.

You mean rocking a mullet, while stoned and wearing acid washed jeans?

Exactly. Or not exactly, but something sort of like that. Somewhat. Almost exactly. Like.

No, not a put on. You are right, they are not low end knives. But I did not buy them so they could watch me use house knives in their stead. They are stainless, have sturdy handles made out of durable materials, and have fairly thick spines. Plus they cut great and have great edge retention. I don't know what I could do to them that would ruin them, I have never damaged a knife that badly ever. So why not use em?

I think for the most part people are too dainty and nervous with their knives. I remember an old post on kf debating if you should use your good knives to take the pits out of avocados (using the bury the blade into the pit and twist method).

I do not own any beaters,I gifted them. I agree with john chance,if you have it you should use.

Well said. I guess it's a philosophical question about whether beating on a knife makes it a "beater"!
Now if you'll excuse me, my drummer spontaneously combusted.

Latest posts

Back