Quantcast
LF Upgrade to Forschner Boning Knife
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LF Upgrade to Forschner Boning Knife

LF Upgrade to Forschner Boning Knife

Hi All,

I'm looking for something with a bit better edge taking/retention qualities for general purpose meat fab (boning, seaming, silverskin) in a professional environment. I like the curve, especially at the tip of the Forschner, and the stiffness is nice as well. It needs to be nimble and delicate enough for rabbits and ducks, but sturdy enough for whole pork and beef quarters, bonus points for silverskin capacity. I'm quite capable of taking care of carbon, so no worries there.

Looking for something in the 150-170mm range. Here are the current considerations:

Itinomonn Wa-Butcher
    (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...mm-wa-butcher/)
    Favorite profile, I hear the steel is great, a little worried it will be too big for some finesse work, probably still my top contender.

Zensho/Yoshikane Wa-Honkatsu
    (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...nkotsu-150-mm/)
    Could be promising, I have no experience with Honkatsu, so can't speak to practical applications. It's probably at my upper limit budget-wise.

Gesshin Ginga White #2 Wa-Honkatsu
    (can't retrieve link)
    I always love the stuff I get from Jon, probably my second favorite option.

Misono Swedish Honkatsu
    (http://korin.com/Misono-Swedish-Carb...tegory=8549937)
    I'm familiar with the excellent steel, this knife used to be the only kid on the block in this category.

I'm not getting rid of my Forschner, so I can use it as a compliment if I need to, but would prefer a clean replacement for all uses.

Thanks in advance everyone.
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

Have you looked at the Tojiro gokujo? Sounds like a good fit.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I personally wouldn't consider any of those knives. If you like the profile of the Forschner, why not have one custom made with a higher grade steel?

Still waiting for one of our makers here to put out a decent boner. (No pun intended)

I'm using a Tojiro boning knife at the mo. I like it but the edge doesn't hold up so good.

Butch makes a nice looking boner...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I use a Tojiro boning knife, but my favorite is Stereopete's Rader.

Thanks for the replies guys. The Tojiro is a possibility, but was hoping for carbon and felt I would just be kicking the can down the road a bit. I'm in Bloodroot's back-yard, so I might shoot Luke an inquiry on the subject. Any more opinions on the ones listed? Am I missing anything else in that general range?
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

My understanding, from reading other folks reviews, is that the Itinomonn is a little too thick for what you're looking for. Great for breaking down large cuts but not for the more delicate work you're probably looking for.

I definitely feel like this is an area they could make a killing by offering higher-end options. I personally use a Tojiro 150mm petty and a MAC 8in gyuto (more suji these days) -- both which have had their profiles severely altered and been thinned down -- for all of my meat fab. I break down a lot of steaks daily for work and they do the job great for me - but obviously because I've altered the knives so much I wouldn't recommend them as options to someone else.

A great carbon boning knife in the 150-210mm range would be amazing. I don't see how someone couldn't sell a ton of them.

Check out some of Marko's offerings
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Marko Tsourkan that is here on the forum
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.