Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beater Preferences

Beater Preferences

Noticed an interesting thread in the B/S/T forum. You can feel free to read it, but the OP was asking for beater recommendations/sales and didn't receive the answers I expected him to receive. Thats probably because his was directed at learning to sharpen/spend more time on the stones but the question is still interesting in terms of having a beater for work. He was immediately told that VG10 is a PITA option and that white was a good route to go. Someone suggested white is a good route to go only if you don't mind getting spoiled with how easy it is to sharpen carbons. Recommendations continued.

So I figured this would be a good time for a little informal polling. What do you guys like to have most in a beater knife? Do you just go cheap and german or do you get a knife you actually like but didn't pay too much for? White steel? Just use a laser for everything? Is your beater your line knife? What do you like?

I've been using a 210 Tojiro VG10 and I kind of don't like using it all that much but I rationalize it by saying that its the purpose of a beater.
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

much more awesomer
    Good thread idea, even for those of us who aren't "on the job"!

Without actually owning one (yet), I'll say "Sakai Yusuke shironiko suji," maybe 240 to 270.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I hope this is the type of answer you are looking for. I have several categories of knives in my household. Some, which include Globals and Lamsons (Lamson and Goodnow), are knives that I simply dislike and don't use, so they get pulled out from time to time when you're gong to abuse a knife.

Others - and I think this is the type of knife you are asking about - are knives that I use, but I don't mind being rough on, and don't mind being a little crude with the sharpening. These are my old stainless Sabatiers. The profile is nice to cut with - much better than German - but the knives are kind of indestrucible. So you have a knife you can live with cutting, but one that is cheapish and resiliant, so you never baby it.

I go for tough (chip-resistant) and stainless, e.g. Yoshihiro/Gesshin Uraku.

My beaters are still the two wusthoffs left in my bag. An 8 in chef and 6 in utility both with the old grand prix handles which are still one of my favorites handle wise.

And my Yoshihiro/GU is my prized knife... comes down to disposable cash I guess. My beater is an old Wusthof Classic. It's my ersatz chef de chef at least. Barely comes out pf a cupboard, though. Similar but totally different, a CCK small cleaver.

Globals or Victorinox

Carbon Sab's and stainless Henckels, both are pretty indestructible, though I prefer the Sab's.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Victorinox.

Carbon Sabs here too. Use it for everything from cracking mud crabs to working the line.

Cheers,
    Josh