Quantcast
Beater Preferences - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Beater Preferences

seems like beater = work horse for a lot of the folks responding here. which makes sense, actually.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I take it to just mean knives for tasks I don't want to use my good ones on and also knives for others to use. For example sometimes I have to cut things on a metal grill, which I use my Victorinox boner for

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I think for the most part people are too dainty and nervous with their knives. I remember an old post on kf debating if you should use your good knives to take the pits out of avocados (using the bury the blade into the pit and twist method).
    The first time I used my Kochi to remove an avocado pit I was extremely nervous...since then I have much more confidence in just using the knife normally for my kitchen tasks. I still break out the Sab's though when bones are involved...maybe I should give that a try next.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Johnnychance has made me rethink this. My work knife (huge beater), is a Global chef knife. The thing isntough as nails, and takes a good enough edge, holding longer than you'd expect.
    My beater, at home, however is an Adam Marr 240 AEB-L gyuto. It tales a real pounding, and boy did Adam ever nail the HT. It gets crazy sharp, and is just a tough knife all around.
    A beater is something you use hard, but for us, a beater can still easily be a $450 knife.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    When I bought my Globals everyone thought that they were to expensive. (at work) now when someone comes looking for a knife I will lend them out. I will also let them try on of my newer ones too. But I usually am right there. My point is they still are "expensive" in their eyes. There is some things that they wont even ask me for a Global, that I wouldn't even think twice about.

Knives are tools they are ment to be used. Would I use a Shig on a grill? Hell no!! But a Global not a problem.
    Chewie's the man.

Seems like this term is less relevant to gyuto, as most will be pretty versatile... Single bevels, at least mine, are a little harder, a little thinner, and without care, or a micro bevel... will chip way more than a spendy dt or carter gyuto.

If I'm loaning it out to dishwashers, (and frankly some of them I now trust more than the cooks so lets say new dishwashers) get the cheap tosa knives from http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept....&dept_id=13198 .

The grind is thick and uneven. The handles are utilitarian. On the other side...they resharpen a lot faster than a throw away shun. For me.. better to spend 2 min sharpening once a week, than to give away a global, shun, or German, and wait until it needs and hour of work to refurbish.

My Mac's, and my hammered damascus gyuto and suji would be considered beaters these days. When it comes to splitting skulls, I have a Tojiro Flash damascus nakiri that I took a pea-sized chunk from, and in fixing it, it became much thicker behind the edge...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Messermeisters. I saw this thread about the time I rediscovered my Messermeisters and thought about saying something then but never got around to it. You certainly don't have to baby these puppies. In comparison to Japanese knives they are inexpensive. They really excel at some tasks, e.g. Cutting heavily crusted beef, cutting through chicken bones, splitting lobster tails, etc. I love 'em.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

any one else care to chime in on tosa? they're super cheap, might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    my globals. They for some reason take a great beating, stay sharp for a decent amount of time. I just hate sharpening them.
    Funnily enough, my globals are my easiest to sharpen knives yet don't keep the edge for that long.

My beater would be my Victorinox pastry knife. Cheap, sorta sharp and takes abuse well.