Hiromoto's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
My Hiromoto petty is my only San Mai blade,no complaints great little petty.You hear more about the AS series wt the exceptional core steel,how about the Hiromoto G-3 series?They seem to be reasonable price.Anyone use one of these knives?The geometry,edge holding etc.Would this be a good starter blade for culinary student.

Also the Gesshin Uraku gyuto,comes wt. saya 60 hrt.chip resistant sounds like another starter blade.Anyone use one of these?

I've sharpened a few G3: fine grain, almost carbon-like, very pleasant. Thinning is a little simpler in absence of a cladding.

I've got a couple friends with the gesshin uraku 240 gyutos.
I've used and sharpened them a couple times. They're a great introductory Japanese knife and a sure fire workhorse you can count on without having to baby it. I've owned the hiro 240 AS gyuto, while the steel was nice I wasn't super stoked on it. It may have been the profile, mine had a noticeable constant curve along the edge but I doubt they're all like that. Can't really go wrong with either

I lucked out (on B?S?T) and picked up a G3 - 240 gyuto as a [relatively] inexpensive, stainless j-knife for the ocean front vacation home. I can't compare this to other 'value' or entry level knives*, but compared to other knives I have, or had, the G3 series has to be the curent best bang for the buck blade out there. Not just 'starter' blade, but great blade. Great pricing. Buy one now before the manufacterer, distributor and merchants figure out they can get $50+ more for the 240 gyuto. Hiromoto always seemd to have a great rap for f&f, so the whole handle/bolster/blade is put together really well. Blade takes and holds a screaming nasty edge, seems thin enuf behind the edge, has overall good geometry, and sharpens up on the beach house king 1k/6k just beautifully. I would have no problem getting rid of my Watanabe, Tad, Ichi TKC, and MC at home and using the 'beach beater'.

Remember back in the day when the Tojiro DP was the original entry level j-knife, and the next step up was the Hiro AS....the G3 is right or par with the AS, at a better value than the DP [relatively speaking]

I don't want to spark anybodys OCD, and start a run on these things because then the entry level will be some 'pos' stolen design from a dot-com, but the G3 is, IMHO, the real deal at a great price.

Thanks for the input,I'm teaching a sharpening class at the culinary school here.Most of the teachers at the school use Forschners,Henckels,& for Japan blades Shuns.That & no real direction in knife sharpening Tech.They have one of those Tri rotating oil stones.

We would get the students during holiday season as free labor,their knives were not sharp & used steels alot trying to get an edge to cut with.

I have sharpened alot of Shuns,they sell them in several stores here,It seems they have a good distribution setup,I think you can do better wt. quite a few blades under 200.00 mark.

I cannot recomm. the thin carbon Lazors that I like,looking for good geometry blades,steel,workhorse on the job.All 240

So far: Fujiwara FKM Stainless,--******** Artiflex AEB-L,--Gesshin Uraku,--Kakayaki Carbonext,--Hiromoto #3 steel,and the CCK small carbon Cleaver,I think it's better to learn beveling skills on an easy to sharpen cheap carbon cleaver,than a 300.00 fine gyuto.Plus they may find that the CCK is a good prep blade.

It is amusing that most persons on this Forum know way more about steels,knives, & sharpening than many in the industry,who should know more about the tools of their trade.

I have used the FKM,sharpened it & gave it to my niece,she has had it for a yr.& likes it alot.Also the AEB-L I tried in a 210,reprofiled the edge,I like the AEB-L steel.And the CCK,had a couple of those at work,more bevel for splitting lobsters & less for vegitables & softer things.The other blades I have not used or even sharpened just going on recomms. of respected forum members:pirate1:

Back