Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: update recommended go-to?

update recommended go-to?

For years we had the Tojiro DP, than the Fujiwara, the Hiromoto, the Gekko/ Inazuma and the CarboNEXT.

What is the go-to recommendation today for all around, entry level, bang for the buck????
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Last month I bought a Tanaka 240mm blue #2 Damascus wa-gyuto and it's my go to these days. Thin blade, killer edge and great retention. Paid $150 + $9 for EMS from Japan. Killer knife for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    For years we had the Tojiro DP, than the Fujiwara, the Hiromoto, the Gekko/ Inazuma and the CarboNEXT.

What is the go-to recommendation today for all around, entry level, bang for the buck????
    i think the Tojiro DP is still pretty good as a go to, honestly.

I still recommend the fujiwara and carbonext knives for noobies.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post

My first thought was....what the hell is wrong with the ones you mentioned? All of these are still as good as ever and, amazingly, still good buys even with the rise in prices over the last few years. Shrug

mikemac on the hiromoto post certainly makes a good case for hiromoto G3 gyutos. $145 for a 240mm. the yoshihiro/gesshin uraku is only $10 more and includes a wa handle and a saya.

What do people think about the Suisin INOX? I think it would probably fit in this category.

I recently gave one as a gift, but I have not used.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    My first thought was....what the hell is wrong with the ones you mentioned? All of these are still as good as ever and, amazingly, still good buys even with the rise in prices over the last few years. Shrug
    Absolutely nothing wrong any of them. Just wondering if there was a new flavor of the day... I still use my Tojiro's and Gekko's in the house evryday.

I do like the mention of Tanaka; pretty solid blue steel knife at a decent price point.

This question arises as I am newly back in the job market. I have been doing stages (working in the kitchen for a night for free), and have been asked a lot about knives. I've been bringing a single pouch with a single gyuto, but it still seems to spark up a lot of conversation....

Just want to make sure my go-to recommendations are current....

Tojiro DP still for me

the others mentioned come a close second but the feel of the tojiro is the easiest to transition to in my opinion, plus its a great knife for the price and for what it is
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"