Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: update recommended go-to?

I wanted to try some of the Stainless blades,my first in over 25 yrs. was the Togiharu INOX ultra thin profile fr. Korin.It is a good blade,I paid 115.00 little over a yr. ago they have gone up in price since.The thin profiled edge makes it easy to sharpen.

I also bought the Fujiwara FKM both of these blades are better than the Forschners I used in the past.I would recomm. either one of these gyuto,slight edge to the Togiharu INOX.

I'm not going to buy any more stainless(famous last words)I know alot of persons like the Carbonext,talked to Jon about the gesshin Uraku,sounds like a solid workhorse blade.The Hiromoto #3 I liked & good price Mikemac's review makes me feel I can recomm. all these blades to students even tho I have never used them.

I've played with the Fujiwara's, Tojiro, Artifex, and Tanaka's (Kurouchi series and I just got the Tanaka Blue #2 Damascus 240mm as well, sweet knife!!). All work pretty well. I also found a site, j cutlery . com that has some inexpensive blades. I got a santoku for my brother and his wife; it looks like a Tojiro DP w/o bolsters (says DP on the blade). Nice edge on it, very light and then, handle F&F is very good. Cost a whopping $45. Also got a 240mm Mioroshi Deba for $103, blade is straight, no twists or warping, either!

+1 to Togiharu...I think that is also Salty's (the original) go-to recommendation.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    +1 to Togiharu...I think that is also Salty's (the original) go-to recommendation.
    Is it just me or does the Togiharu Hammered Texture Damascus and the JCK Special GEKKO look exactly the same?

Is it just me or does the Togiharu Hammered Texture Damascus and the JCK Special GEKKO look exactly the same?
    yep. also looks like yoshihiro's line and also sakai takayuki's line as well.

probably just a line of knives that's made by an oem maker unmarked and rebranded by other sellers

=D

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I still recommend the fujiwara and carbonext knives for noobies.
    These are my favorites as well...I put the initial edge on for them too.