update recommended go-to?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
For years we had the Tojiro DP, than the Fujiwara, the Hiromoto, the Gekko/ Inazuma and the CarboNEXT.

What is the go-to recommendation today for all around, entry level, bang for the buck????

Last month I bought a Tanaka 240mm blue #2 Damascus wa-gyuto and it's my go to these days. Thin blade, killer edge and great retention. Paid $150 + $9 for EMS from Japan. Killer knife for the price.

For years we had the Tojiro DP, than the Fujiwara, the Hiromoto, the Gekko/ Inazuma and the CarboNEXT.

What is the go-to recommendation today for all around, entry level, bang for the buck????

i think the Tojiro DP is still pretty good as a go to, honestly.

I still recommend the fujiwara and carbonext knives for noobies.

My first thought was....what the hell is wrong with the ones you mentioned? All of these are still as good as ever and, amazingly, still good buys even with the rise in prices over the last few years. Shrug

mikemac on the hiromoto post certainly makes a good case for hiromoto G3 gyutos. $145 for a 240mm. the yoshihiro/gesshin uraku is only $10 more and includes a wa handle and a saya.

My first thought was....what the hell is wrong with the ones you mentioned? All of these are still as good as ever and, amazingly, still good buys even with the rise in prices over the last few years. Shrug

Absolutely nothing wrong any of them. Just wondering if there was a new flavor of the day... I still use my Tojiro's and Gekko's in the house evryday.

I do like the mention of Tanaka; pretty solid blue steel knife at a decent price point.

This question arises as I am newly back in the job market. I have been doing stages (working in the kitchen for a night for free), and have been asked a lot about knives. I've been bringing a single pouch with a single gyuto, but it still seems to spark up a lot of conversation....

Just want to make sure my go-to recommendations are current....

Tojiro DP still for me

the others mentioned come a close second but the feel of the tojiro is the easiest to transition to in my opinion, plus its a great knife for the price and for what it is

I wanted to try some of the Stainless blades,my first in over 25 yrs. was the Togiharu INOX ultra thin profile fr. Korin.It is a good blade,I paid 115.00 little over a yr. ago they have gone up in price since.The thin profiled edge makes it easy to sharpen.

I also bought the Fujiwara FKM both of these blades are better than the Forschners I used in the past.I would recomm. either one of these gyuto,slight edge to the Togiharu INOX.

I'm not going to buy any more stainless(famous last words)I know alot of persons like the Carbonext,talked to Jon about the gesshin Uraku,sounds like a solid workhorse blade.The Hiromoto #3 I liked & good price Mikemac's review makes me feel I can recomm. all these blades to students even tho I have never used them.

I've played with the Fujiwara's, Tojiro, Artifex, and Tanaka's (Kurouchi series and I just got the Tanaka Blue #2 Damascus 240mm as well, sweet knife!!). All work pretty well. I also found a site, j cutlery . com that has some inexpensive blades. I got a santoku for my brother and his wife; it looks like a Tojiro DP w/o bolsters (says DP on the blade). Nice edge on it, very light and then, handle F&F is very good. Cost a whopping $45. Also got a 240mm Mioroshi Deba for $103, blade is straight, no twists or warping, either!

+1 to Togiharu...I think that is also Salty's (the original) go-to recommendation.

Is it just me or does the Togiharu Hammered Texture Damascus and the JCK Special GEKKO look exactly the same?

Is it just me or does the Togiharu Hammered Texture Damascus and the JCK Special GEKKO look exactly the same?

yep. also looks like yoshihiro's line and also sakai takayuki's line as well.

probably just a line of knives that's made by an oem maker unmarked and rebranded by other sellers

=D

Back