Quantcast
Seeking advice on new 2 stone combo...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on new 2 stone combo...

Seeking advice on new 2 stone combo...

I'll try to keep this as short and simple as I can.
    I've read through tons of similar old threads looking for info on this, and have found what I think is a good idea of what I'm looking for. But I know there are always new products and methods so before I spend my cash I thought I should ask for some final guidance.

I currently use shapton glass 1 & 4k stones, with a DMT-c for rough work and flattening. My previous stones were a few of the king 800/4k & 1k-6k, which always gave me edges that I was perfectly happy with and felt pretty good (maybe except the 4k which feels greasy to me). I bought the Shaptons as an upgrade to "better" stones. Turns out I just don't like the feel of them at all (although the +/-4k range is where i like to stop). Way too hard for my taste. Last week I actually pulled out my last King and tried to eek another use out of the last mm because it feels so much more natural.

I'm looking to find two stones to be a quick and efficient sharpening lineup. I've got a couple simple carbons, a couple vg-1, a new Kono HD, and a few old Germans to sharpen, no single bevels or need for serious polish. I like the 4k finish as it leaves a good balance of clean/toothy for my taste.

My idea is to replace the typical 500/1k/6k setup with just two stones and a 1 mic strop for the knives that can use it. I think I'm looking for something about 7/800 to start (or maybe a really aggressive 1k) followed by something in the 3-5 range (maybe synthetic aoto or Rika?) that will be both a good stopping point and a good step before the strop.
    I like the splash and go, but if a soaker gives the feel and combo I'm looking for, so be it.

So much for short and simple, but I look forward to some educated advice.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Chefdog; 08-24-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Terrible spelling.

Jon ( of JKI ) has something in the works that will probably suit this perfectly. Might want to get in touch with him and get a little more info.

Yes talk to Jon,for a trained blade 2 stone setup works well.The 2K gesshin is one of the best medium I have used.Then perhaps the 4K soaker or the 5K splash & go.

The Gesshin's are good for Carbon & Quality alloy Stainless.

Thanks for the input so far guys, and I look forward to more suggestions as well.

So you want a softer stone with better feel, fairly fast, and a good bitey edge, in the 1k & 4k range, sharpening mostly stainless.

I'm going to turn blue in the face here on this one, it's like a tired refrain, since they are recommended so often by everyone for everything, but...

Bester 1200, Suehiro Rika 5000.

I wish I could give more creative suggestions, but those two are exactly what you are looking for. They wouldn't be so loved if they weren't awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    So you want a softer stone with better feel, fairly fast, and a good bitey edge, in the 1k & 4k range, sharpening mostly stainless.

I'm going to turn blue in the face here on this one, it's like a tired refrain, since they are recommended so often by everyone for everything, but...

Bester 1200, Suehiro Rika 5000.

I wish I could give more creative suggestions, but those two are exactly what you are looking for. They wouldn't be so loved if they weren't awesome.
    I did notice those coming up often in the older threads too, gotta be something to it. Does the bester 1200 cut aggressively enough to be the coarsest stone in the lineup? Better first stone than say, the 700?

I do have the DMT-c, but only use it for extreme cases.

Thanks.

It will remove all the scratches from the DMT-C without a problem. It's fast enough, and leaves a pretty fine finish. The Rika is a 5k stone that seems to have oddball abrasives in it or something, and it leaves a nice grabby edge.

They both feel great, too, so you probably won't mind spending more time on them if you had to. They will both work faster than the Kings, but slower than the Shaptons.

Thanks for the follow up. LOoks like most people think 1k is a better place to start for regular maintanence sharpening than 7-800??? I thought I'd get more people recommending something a little more coarse as a place to begin.

7-800 is more for repair than maintenance.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Maintenance happens for me on 4-6k stones. ~1k is for thinning and cleaning up, sub 1k is for repairs.

You don't have to go to the 1k stone every time you sharpen, unless you are the kind of person who doesn't mow until your grass is 2 feet tall.

+ Reply to Thread