Carter knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis7490

Reaction score
I was looking at a Carter knife that I like the size, shape, etc. of. it says:
"White Steel, laminated w/ stainless steel"

Why is stainless frowned upon? or is it? I like the patina of a pure carbon steel, but this knife has everything else I like.

What kind of white steel is this?
Compared to super Agoumi how is edge retention?

Maybe someone can direct me to reviews on Carter knives. Couldn't find one.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis, Others will chim in that own Carters but I think he uses White #2, No it will not hold an edge like AS but will also not chip like AS can. However, White steel is a dream to sharpen but is highly reactive. Don't get too caught up in the steel game. Everybody knows around here that profile, Heat treatment then steel are the important in that order. Blacksmiths usually specialize in a particular steel because they know how to heat treat it. Mr carter loves White steel.

I do not own a Carter but from what I've heard, they a have excellent heat treatments and profiles but fit and finish can be hit or mis. I've also heard that the handles he uses on his lower-end knives are not the best.

He uses white1, I believe. White steel is not too reactive, really, and with stainless cladding you shouldn't have any problems. His knives are about cutting performance, not looking pretty (unless you spend more).

He uses white1, I believe. White steel is not too reactive, really, and with stainless cladding you shouldn't have any problems. His knives are about cutting performance, not looking pretty (unless you spend more).

+1

All about performance...

If you like the knife, get it! Carter's Knives are great performers, and while the edge won't last as long as some others, it's very easy to touch up. Both my carters are phenomenal cutters.

No reviews on carter knives? I think they are held in high regard. I like everything about mine, except the price. That being said, I would buy another one if I had the funds.

You are looking at between 500-600.00 for a funyaki in 220mm to 240mm. For that price I can think of many makers I would rather solicite that would provide better grinding, fit and finish and design.

I have owned few Carters and sold them all.

They have a rustic appeal, but the performance is there.

Carters are phenominal cutting knives. A joy to use. And they come really sharp. Really. I am trying to find an excuse for another one.

I own maybe a dozen Carters and use 4 of them on a regular basis. I've never been disappointed in the performance of any of them. Fit and finish is more a matter of personal taste on this type of knife as they are supposed to be of traditional Japanese handmade construction.

I own maybe a dozen Carters and use 4 of them on a regular basis. I've never been disappointed in the performance of any of them. Fit and finish is more a matter of personal taste on this type of knife as they are supposed to be of traditional Japanese handmade construction.

O.k., I looked: No knife picture gallery yet! Get on it ;)

Other than that, I agree: Carter prices have gone up to a level that makes you take a deep breath occasionally, but they are great performers, not necessarily show knives unless you go for the highest levels.

Stefan

In regards to using stainless; Carter's usually have a pretty cool line were the cladding stops and the carbon patinas nicely...

Fit and Finish is pretty terrible IMO, even his HG's aren't perfect, ie: unfinished scratch pattern parallel on the blade face, a not rounded spine and a chewed up choil. I'd try to find one in the BST (there's like a gabillion out there), or wait till the next sale with free shipping runs, myself...

Back