D. Martell Some Remedies for a Remedy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
So I got a nice little project land in my lap awhile back that needed some remedies applied, it's a Lamson made Remedy gyuto.

The remedies that were prescribed and administered were blade thinning (see details below), hidden tang conversion, & rehandling.

This would have been a pretty straight forward refurb except for two issues. The first is that the blade has a decent overgrind strip on the right side where it appears that the blade was refinished after the mark was lasered on. There's a hollowed out section from spine to edge in just this section. I did my best to even the face of the blade out but I couldn't add steel where it had been removed so some evidence still exists. The second issue nearly kicked my ass, the bolster is whacked out, it was shorter on one side than the other and more or less uneven in every direction. This might not have been that big of a deal if I was applying scales but in this case I was putting a squared up block of wood up against these things. As with the blade I did my best to make this look as good as possible where there was little to work with and again some evidence still remains of the factory imperfection.

Blade Thinning stats:

Before
Spine (handle to tip) - .70" , .72" , .20"

Edge (handle to tip) - .13" , .13" , .11"

After
Spine (handle to tip) - . 63" , .60" , .09"

Edge (handle to tip) - .06" , .05" , .05"

Handle:Two toned straight grain ironwood (from BurlSource)
Copper bolster spacer
Copper & nickel silver mosaic pin
Converted full tang to hidden

The customer saw potential in this knife and I hoped that I saw it realized. :)

Here's some pictures.....

BEFORE
P1010001-33.jpg

AFTER
P1010001-34.jpg

BEFORE
P1010003-31.jpg

AFTER
P1010003-32.jpg

P1010005-35.jpg

BEFORE
P1010007-19.jpg

AFTER
P1010006-28.jpg

BEFORE
P1010008-22.jpg

AFTER
P1010008-23.jpg

P1010009-16.jpg

BEFORE
P1010004-26.jpg

AFTER
P1010017-15.jpg

P1010014-13.jpg

P1010015-14.jpg

P1010013-10.jpg

P1010012-11.jpg

P1010011-18.jpg

Looks great! I love the hidden tang conversion!

The handle came out great! I love that little hit of copper next to the bolster, and shape is an enormous improvement!

dang! Dave works miracles! you've truly remedied my remedy.

edit: I still can't believe how awesome it looks.

Still looking at the pics :D The mosaic pin is a nice touch, I didn't expect that.

Great work Dave. Who says you can't shine up a turd?
Seriously though, I have an ultimatum in 19C27 that really needs some work. I love the properties of the steel. It seems like a good HT, definitely just needs some love. Happy to see you do this!

Wow beautiful work Dave!.... If the knives looked that nice straight from the factory... Factory... Factoryyyyyyyyy...

Nice work as always Dave. I feel very fortunate to have one of the few Addicts that you fixed up real nice before you realized they were more trouble than they were worth. Thanks again!

I received the knife today. pictures don't do it justice. amazing job Dave! you are way too modest, what factory defects? I think you fixed everything.

I received the knife today. pictures don't do it justice. amazing job Dave! you are way too modest, what factory defects? I think you fixed everything.

I'm glad to hear that you like it Aaron and I hope that it kicks butt for you for a long time. :)

Latest posts

Back