An unexpected gift- ID help please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Helped out a neighbor with his internet access and he gifted this to me on the way out-

On the blade, it says it was made by 忠雄 (I believe it's pronounced as "Tadao). I couldn't find the maker of this company or craftsman, but I saw couple of knives with the same engraving, and all of them were SK steels (the carbon ones).

Thank you Sara, I appreciate the effort.

How cool is that??
Now, not that it's as helpful, but if you need French or Portuguese kanji translated, I'm your guy :D

Ahh, the others beat me to the answer! Anyway, I still like to figure these out and I've got the same:

登録 (the first smaller pair) = registered
忠雄 = Tadao/Tadawo
作 = made

Therefore, it's a registered knife made by Tadao/Tadawo. ... Oh, and I agree. Nice marble ferrule on that hand which, with the plainer ho wood, makes for one attractive knife. Nice one - replace (burl up) the handle!

Thanks for all the help, is it unusual to have what seems to be a fairly high end knife, be made by this seemingly unknown maker?

Nice marble ferrule on that hand which, with the plainer ho wood, makes for one attractive knife. Nice one - replace (burl up) the handle!

Rats - I meant DON'T replace that handle!

Thanks for all the help, is it unusual to have what seems to be a fairly high end knife, be made by this seemingly unknown maker?

I wonder about this too. Not many of us know Japan well and this puts us on the outside of things, and there might be other examples where we just haven't heard of a certain maker, etc. On the other hand, the non-Japanese knifehead community seems to know a surpising amount of stuff.

Back