homemade pasta with basil in it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinblue

Founding Member
Reaction score
We've been making pasta for some time now, its so much better and we love it.

I've been searching via Google but trying to get some insight to get the basil flavor directly into the pasta itself. i.e. green pasta

Does anyone have experience with this?

Our pasta recipe is simple, 1 cup AP flour, 1 cup Semolina, two eggs, tsp salt, touch of olive oil and water to the right consistency.

thanks.

I have seen this done 2 ways. 1. The basil was roto coup'd to pretty much liquid and added when making the dough. I can't give specific amount cause I was looking from another station. 2. I seen it just cheffonade thinly and added when rolling out the dough.

2 to me seemed like you would not get a even distribution, of basil. good luck.

I've had a lot of luck adding dried ingredients to pasta, e.g. dried mushrooms - why not take dried basil, grind to powder, and add to the dry ingredients? For coloration, you could make a basil oil, or add basil to the end, e.g. a bright green basil oil drizzled over the finished pasta (which would probably look slightly darker than traditional handmade pasta.)

I have had some good luck with this in the past. My basic ratio is as follows.
8 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
2tb xvoo
4c packed basil
1/2 C spinach leaves destemmed, or baby spinach works well
4C AP flour
2C semolina flour
2ts salt

Blanch the basil and spinach and wring it as dry as possible, putting it in a towel or napkin and twisting is a pretty good method. Then you will need to puree the blanched leaves in a blender, if you don't have a vitamix or other awesome blender they may not puree easily. If so, add the two egg yolks and use those to help form a nice smooth puree. Then from here proceed in a normal pasta making procedure. Sometimes a small amount of flour may need to be added to tighten the dough. If you have any questions post them here or feel free to PM me. Hope you enjoy.

Drew

Thanks All for the suggestions. I look forward to giving it a try. I'll try to post up results.

Back