Cleaver Maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artistic, but I don't particularly like that knife.

Cool WIP slideshow. I bet that cleaver could wack down some serious meat....not typical cleaver of our standards, but cool nonetheless....

I don't really understand some of the "features." But it is artistic.

I like it. I wonder why the finger guard is split?
I am pretty sure this is a Zombie hunting cleaver.
The split guard helps to prevent the impact force from traveling back into the handle when you are hacking through bones.

No.....I am just teasing.
It looks similar to some camp cleavers I have seen. Something to cut and split firewood and maybe field butcher a deer or ?

Not my style, but still nice work and a cool cleaver.

It appears that the maker is showing off his creative skills, rather then any practical features. Some cooks use the handle to mince garlic or grind up spices. The eyelet would get in the way of that function. I've read that the heel of a cleaver can be used to peel ginger. Yes I've tried it, and Yes it was scary. I could see somebody more skilled being able to do it. The separate guard and the half circle ground in at the heel, would not help.

Jay

Found it. His name is Blaine Whitney. He's a hobbiest blacksmith/bladesmith in So Cal. He has an abandoned blog, and a Facebook page.

From a commercial kitchen tool standpoint it clearly has flaws. From a "guy in the backyard hacking up pig parts for a hole in the ground with a fire in it," it'd be an interesting conversation piece. It's almost a costume piece. Not something to use in the secluded back of a restaurant, but more in the midst of a larger event, with similar trappings.

Back