Quantcast
Museums? Which ones?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Museums? Which ones?

Museums? Which ones?

Do you like museums? I do. I actually love museums.

I love LACMA, MOCA, Getty Center, Getty Villa, Japanese American National Museum, Norton Simon and Hammer, Museum of Tolerance in LA ... I've also visited some, out side of LA (CA) - I particularly loved Art Institute of Chicago, Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, Philadelphia Museum, National Liberty Museum, The Metropolitan Museum of Art. My all time favorite is Uffizi in Italy! but other big name museums in Italy and France were also great. As a girl, Salvatore Ferragamo Museum was also like a dream.

You can tell I haven't visited many states yet in the US... but when I do travel to other states, I need to know which ones to visit. Which museums do you recommend? Which museums do you like?

I love museums.

Of those that I have visited to date, my favorite has to be the Musée d'Orsay.

I have never been to LA, but on the other coast I definitely liked the MOMA and the Guggenheim in NYC, the small Rodin museum in Philadelphia. Others that impressed me: Anthropological Museum in Mexico City, parts of the Prado in Madrid, the Senckenberg Museum in Frankfurt/Germany as a kid (natural history, lots of dinosaurs...). In terms of art, I remember a few exhibitions more than museums, e.g. a Dali exhibition in Madrid that I hitchhiked 1,500miles to see, a Munch exhibition, also in Madrid but years later while I spent a few months in the city etc. As a German who is interested in history, the Holocaust Museum in DC really got to me on an almost visceral level.

Stefan

My wife had a five month assignment to Washington DC. While she worked I spent my days visiting every museum I could find, some multiple times. It seems like the best museum I've ever been to is the British Museum of Natural History. I say "seems like" because that was 30 years ago and all I'm left with is the impression that it had a lot of cool stuff to look at. Chicago's Field Museum was wonderful and the nice thing about its location is the Shedd Aquarium is next door so you could make a day between the two places.

I can't remember the names but I can spend days in Natural History museums

Takoyaki museum in Osaka.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, FL. Much more than circus art...
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    I can't remember the names but I can spend days in Natural History museums
    Me too others that come to mind Air and Space in DC,Van Gogh in Holland,Orsay in Paris,Rodin Paris,I went to a small museum in Germany that was half Art Nouveau and other half Puppets I liked that one alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    I love museums.

Of those that I have visited to date, my favorite has to be the Musée d'Orsay.
    yes, Musée d'Orsay was beautiful... I decided comparing what we have in Japan and the US with ones in Europe isn't fair.... I wish I can hop on the airplane now to visit those museums there!

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I have never been to LA, but on the other coast I definitely liked the MOMA and the Guggenheim in NYC, the small Rodin museum in Philadelphia. Others that impressed me: Anthropological Museum in Mexico City, parts of the Prado in Madrid, the Senckenberg Museum in Frankfurt/Germany as a kid (natural history, lots of dinosaurs...). In terms of art, I remember a few exhibitions more than museums, e.g. a Dali exhibition in Madrid that I hitchhiked 1,500miles to see, a Munch exhibition, also in Madrid but years later while I spent a few months in the city etc. As a German who is interested in history, the Holocaust Museum in DC really got to me on an almost visceral level.

Stefan
    Last time we visited Philly, the Rodin museum was still under construction... next time I'm in the area, it's one of the top to-do list! Dali museum sounds so fun.... I love Dali's art... Anthropological Museum, Senckenberg museum, and the holocaust museum in dc also added in my wish list! Thanks for sharing !