Museums? Which ones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara@JKI

Reaction score
Do you like museums? I do. I actually love museums.

I love LACMA, MOCA, Getty Center, Getty Villa, Japanese American National Museum, Norton Simon and Hammer, Museum of Tolerance in LA ... I've also visited some, out side of LA (CA) - I particularly loved Art Institute of Chicago, Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, Philadelphia Museum, National Liberty Museum, The Metropolitan Museum of Art. My all time favorite is Uffizi in Italy! but other big name museums in Italy and France were also great. As a girl, Salvatore Ferragamo Museum was also like a dream.

You can tell I haven't visited many states yet in the US... but when I do travel to other states, I need to know which ones to visit. Which museums do you recommend? Which museums do you like?

I have never been to LA, but on the other coast I definitely liked the MOMA and the Guggenheim in NYC, the small Rodin museum in Philadelphia. Others that impressed me: Anthropological Museum in Mexico City, parts of the Prado in Madrid, the Senckenberg Museum in Frankfurt/Germany as a kid (natural history, lots of dinosaurs...). In terms of art, I remember a few exhibitions more than museums, e.g. a Dali exhibition in Madrid that I hitchhiked 1,500miles to see, a Munch exhibition, also in Madrid but years later while I spent a few months in the city etc. As a German who is interested in history, the Holocaust Museum in DC really got to me on an almost visceral level.

Stefan

My wife had a five month assignment to Washington DC. While she worked I spent my days visiting every museum I could find, some multiple times. It seems like the best museum I've ever been to is the British Museum of Natural History. I say "seems like" because that was 30 years ago and all I'm left with is the impression that it had a lot of cool stuff to look at. Chicago's Field Museum was wonderful and the nice thing about its location is the Shedd Aquarium is next door so you could make a day between the two places.

I can't remember the names but I can spend days in Natural History museums

Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, FL. Much more than circus art...

Me too others that come to mind Air and Space in DC,Van Gogh in Holland,Orsay in Paris,Rodin Paris,I went to a small museum in Germany that was half Art Nouveau and other half Puppets I liked that one alot.

I love museums.

Of those that I have visited to date, my favorite has to be the Musée d'Orsay.

yes, Musée d'Orsay was beautiful... I decided comparing what we have in Japan and the US with ones in Europe isn't fair.... I wish I can hop on the airplane now to visit those museums there!

I have never been to LA, but on the other coast I definitely liked the MOMA and the Guggenheim in NYC, the small Rodin museum in Philadelphia. Others that impressed me: Anthropological Museum in Mexico City, parts of the Prado in Madrid, the Senckenberg Museum in Frankfurt/Germany as a kid (natural history, lots of dinosaurs...). In terms of art, I remember a few exhibitions more than museums, e.g. a Dali exhibition in Madrid that I hitchhiked 1,500miles to see, a Munch exhibition, also in Madrid but years later while I spent a few months in the city etc. As a German who is interested in history, the Holocaust Museum in DC really got to me on an almost visceral level.

Stefan

Last time we visited Philly, the Rodin museum was still under construction... next time I'm in the area, it's one of the top to-do list! Dali museum sounds so fun.... I love Dali's art... Anthropological Museum, Senckenberg museum, and the holocaust museum in dc also added in my wish list! Thanks for sharing :) !

I took my nephew to Natural History Museum in Downtown LA.... the bird section really freaked me out though! Gem section was like a black hole... I really wanted to own them all.

My wife had a five month assignment to Washington DC. While she worked I spent my days visiting every museum I could find, some multiple times. It seems like the best museum I've ever been to is the British Museum of Natural History. I say "seems like" because that was 30 years ago and all I'm left with is the impression that it had a lot of cool stuff to look at. Chicago's Field Museum was wonderful and the nice thing about its location is the Shedd Aquarium is next door so you could make a day between the two places.

I wish I could visit British Museum..... I think I can literally spend my life there! It was one of my Dad's favorite too...

Jon took me to the Shedd Aquarium, and I loved it too - they had such a neat way of organization and design. I always save brochures, and photos :)

Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, Chicago Art Institute, Atlanta's High Museum of Art, Caltrava in Milwaukee, Das Kriminalmuseum in Rothenburg, Germany was really interesting.

Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, Chicago Art Institute, Atlanta's High Museum of Art, Caltrava in Milwaukee, Das Kriminalmuseum in Rothenburg, Germany was really interesting.

Other than Chicago, I haven't gone to any of those areas you mentioned. I guess I have a lot of places to go!

I took my nephew to Natural History Museum in Downtown LA.... the bird section really freaked me out though! Gem section was like a black hole... I really wanted to own them all.

My wife has a degree in gemology... She will meet you in the black hole :p

Honestly I always loved walking around a natural-art museums. One I saw on PBS some time in the 90's was a walnut art museum some were in Kansas(I think) that I have always wanted to visit. Think faberge with walnut's. It was just in passing and I wish I had written it down.

Milwaukee Art Museum. As previously noted, often called the Calatrava after the architect that designed the new addition.

calatrava.jpg

It's pretty cool.

[video=youtube_share;eGQJPkQL0fU]http://youtu.be/eGQJPkQL0fU[/video]

I used to live in DC and I would bring my daughter to a Smithsonian 4-5 times a week (except during the summer when they were too crowded). All of them were interesting, but my favorites were:

* The National Portrait Gallery. I love the folk art portion on the ground floor and the very top floor.
* The Building Museum. It's an impressive building with rotating exhibits, a kids building zone, and if you like design stuff, they have a good museum shop.
* The American Indian Museum.
* The Natural History Museum and Air & Space are also good, but quite crowded, and the latter is a bit run down IMO.
* I also enjoyed the smaller Freer which has an Asian theme, and the African Art museum.

Children's Science Museums are a favorite of mine too. The one in Baltimore is really nice.

In the rest of the world, I have been to the British Museum and the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. The magnitude of those places is bewildering. I also like the Topkapi Palace and Archaeology Museum in Istanbul and the cisterns under Sultan Ahmet, both in Istanbul. The Mosaic Museum in Antakya Turkey was also amazing.

I lived in Den Haag for a bit, and there is the Mesdag Panorama Museum that is small but superb, and Den Haag has an excellent art museum, the Mauritshuis. It is probably one of the smallest, best art museums out there. Of course the big ones in Amsterdam are amazing too.

The Jewish museum in Jerusalem was good, and along that line I have been to two concentration camp museums (Dachau and Auschwitz), which speak for themselves.

I thought the WWII Resistance Museum in Oslo was very good, but one of my relatives was in the Norwegian resistance, so I might be biased on this one.

The D-Day Museum in New Orleans was good to, and presidential libraries can be very cool. I have been to the George Bush and LBJ libraries.

Anyhow, those are some of my favorites.

k.

If you ever make it to NorthWest Arkansas, visit the Crystal Bridges Museum:

http://crystalbridges.org/Trails-and-Grounds/Overlook

It was started from the private collection of one of the Wal-Mart heirs...great exhibits and interesting building and setting.

When I was driving through Arkansas, I stopped in Hope to go to the Bill Clinton museum. It was pretty funny. They basically had pictures of Bill right next to the winners of the giant watermelon contest. Also, the sign directing you to the museum had about 50 bullet holes in it.

k.

When I was driving through Arkansas, I stopped in Hope to go to the Bill Clinton museum. It was pretty funny. They basically had pictures of Bill right next to the winners of the giant watermelon contest. Also, the sign directing you to the museum had about 50 bullet holes in it.

k.

Heh...so very unsurprising on both counts. Hope purports to be the "watermelon capital of the world." We also have the "peach festival" in Clarksville...for about 2 weeks a year, you can get some of the best peaches you'll ever find.

Other than that, Arkansas is pretty much all rice and soybeans.

Back