Quantcast
Shopping again!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping again!!

Shopping again!!

Hello gonna have to trouble some of the more experienced nutters here to help me make some decisions again.

I've recently got myself a gyuto, a petty, a silicon carbide stone, 1000/3000 combination stone (given to me free lol)

Looking for a Suji, 270mm
    price range about USD150
    Gonna see quite a bit of use
    Mainly for carving up meats like a porterhouse etc
    Preferable stainless or clad
    Looks don't matter, edge retention does

Please gimme some opinions and it would be best if you have used the knife and can vouch for it yourself :P

Also looking for a higher grit stone. Is Naniwa SS ok? I can only find Naniwa locally. All other brands have gotta be shipped. And what should the grain pogression go? Is it of to jump straight to a 10000? Or should I get a 5k-8k stone first?

Thanks in advance!

If you are just using for slicing/carving and want good edge retention, your best bet for that price is going to be JCK CarboNext no doubt.

I had the 270 CN and liked everything about it except the profile--wasn't flat enough for my general push-cutting needs, but would be a non-issue for a slicer.

It is not okay to refer to people here as "nutters" unless you put a "k" in front of the word. What is your 1/3k combo stone? SS are great, imo although I've been using them in conjunction with the Gesshin line from JKI. More than likely, you don't want to go beyond a 5-6k first. The Suehiro Rika 5k seems to be the consensus best buy. I like it a lot myself but I do prefer Chosera or Gesshin since that one is a splash-n-go. For slicers, I have to say CN is probably best at that price but if you are gonna be just slicing meat, a Tojiro will be nearly as good and save you a chunk of change.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    If you are just using for slicing/carving and want good edge retention, your best bet for that price is going to be JCK CarboNext no doubt.
    I haven't regretted buying my CN Suji. I think it will fulfill your criteria nicely, though it's a semi-stainless. Mine has developed a bit of a patina, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    a Tojiro will be nearly as good and save you a chunk of change.
    TK, I agree the Tojiro is also another great option at this price point, but the CarboNext is only $20 more and has a better handle and fit/finish, plus it is a mono-steel versus cladded (if that is of any concern to Mel), and it also has better edge retention in my experience. Both are solid knives, but I would personally pay a bit extra for differentiating characteristics of the CN.

$20? Hmm. I thought Tojiros were cheaper than that. I have to agree there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary View Post
    I haven't regretted buying my CN Suji. I think it will fulfill your criteria nicely, though it's a semi-stainless. Mine has developed a bit of a patina, if that sort of thing bothers you.
    I'm thinking about getting a CN suji for my dad. He loves my knives, but I have a hard time convincing him that all the extra care that carbon requires is worth it. Will a CN suji survive sitting on a cutting board after slicing raw meat for half an hour or will it end up a rusty mess? Patina is fine, but if he has to clean up rust all the time he won't use it. I might end up just getting him a Fujiwara or Tojiro stainless suji instead, but if the CN fairly rust resistant I can probably convince him to give it the extra care it deserves.

I'd go Fujiwara for your dad. I'm sure it would be an upgrade, it has a very nice profile and the price is amazing.
    Does anyone know if the FKM comes in lh? I'm pretty sure t doesn't....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I don't think you will have many issues with rust but it certainly has a capacity too as does any knife. I have never had any with mine. Just tell your dad it is as easy as a quick wipe to take care of it, he does not have to completly wash it directly after each use. Although the knife will develope a dull gray patina, not the sparkly stainless shine most people are use too. I would vote cn over tojiro in fit and finish as well as edge retention.

Firstly, SORRY!! for the nutter :P forgot the k in front.

How's the Fujiwara FKM compared to the CN? I'll be using it really often and during service, it's gonna be slicing none stop. Will there be any issues with rust/odour transference?
    How about the stones?
    The combination stone is from Naniwa, here's the link to it:
    http://www.fine-tools.com/naniwa-combination-stone.html
    Is a 5K Suehiro needed before I go on to a 8K or 10K? That's cause I don't wanna get too many stones now and have to ship them to Aussie when I go there for studies next year.

+ Reply to Thread