Zubengforge Tamahagene

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Finely i got my self a Tamahagene knife :)
I was just looking for a knife to test my stones and try to polish Tamahagene (home made steel) knife.
So i send Bob email if he had one cheap Demo knife that was not polished in stock.
And he had :)

First i thought that shape was very wired and ugly, but sins i just will use it for display and test i just ordered it !
Knife came very fast and Bob was very helpful !!!

I wanted to polish it with only stones without any sandpaper or compounds, i learned a lot from this polish, it looks very amazing now and shape is not odd at all, like i thought it will be, actually it is very practical and very nice to use ! Its suji, gyuto hybrid :)

I started with coarse Aoto, fine Aoto, Ohira suita, Atago kiita then finished with Nakayama fingerstones.
I think that now i am a lot better polisher :)))))
Here is pics !
Test of cutting will come later with video !

IMGP3821.JPG

IMGP3820.JPG

IMGP3835.JPG

IMGP3834.JPG

Nice. How much time would you estimate? Per stone and total. I've been doing some experimenting and it seems to be pretty time consuming.

Yes it is time consuming :(
But this time i did not go for perfection like do when i polish.
I just tried to erase every scratches from privies stones. It helped a lot that knife came perfectly flat !
and i tried to cross the scratch patterns, on big stones i polished with parallel scratches and on fingerstones i did with horizontal. And it worked pretty well !

I have a project knife I'll have to talk to you about sometime.

Let me know how i can help when you are ready :)

Wow, that's really cool maxim. Please say you recorded the process. Pretty please? I've been going into withdrawals with no new polishing videos from you recently...

That is some good looking steel,I can't wait to here how it cuts.

Maybe it is just me, but I kinda like the shape. Not ugly at all imo. But a little polish always helps. Nice work!

Wow, that's really cool maxim. Please say you recorded the process. Pretty please? I've been going into withdrawals with no new polishing videos from you recently...

No sorry not on this one :(
Maybe later i will do some re polishing videos with that one !

I try to make one cutting video tomorrow with that knife.

Maybe it is just me, but I kinda like the shape. Not ugly at all imo. But a little polish always helps. Nice work!

When i got the knife i changed my mind right away :)
Very practical, light and tip is very useful like on suji

I made video of sharpening and cutting with this knife.

I must say its not the best cutter :( geometry on this knife is very bad !
Its need a lot of thinning before it will be useable.
Hardness of the steel is not grate ether it will not scratch glass and feels relatively soft i say 58 to 60 HRC
I dont know if you can see in the vidseo but at last i cut with Shigefusa suji that is same thinness as this gyuto but is much much better cutter !
It is hard to beat Shigefusas geometry anyway !! He makes just best cutters out there :ninja:

Still i do not regret that i bought this knife its more for its beauty and trying out the steel i bought it so i am very very happy anyway :biggrin2:

Here is vid

[video=youtube;WBZS-evo-yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBZS-evo-yg[/video]

Maxim, who made this knife?
The knife is really nice, after your polish.
I agree that the geometry of the knife is rather weak.
Somehow I expected more from Tamahagene thought that when knife look at the an apple or an onion themselves will fall apart. :biggrin:

Ok ! Now i worked on that knife and grind out the heel and thinned it a lot !!

Now it cuts like a dream :ninja: (video will follow later)

Here is pictures of "New" Tamahagene :moonwalk:

IMGP4007.JPG

IMGP4005.JPG

IMGP3990.JPG

IMGP3988.JPG

IMGP3984.JPG

IMGP3982.JPG

IMGP3980.JPG

That is a great looking knife! I saw the vid for this on youtube and noticed in the end you were frustrated w/ it's cutting and switched to another knife. Curious to see how this one cuts now after all of the work you've done on it.

In your first post one of the pics shows the choil angling back towards the handle, but in these most recent pics the choil is suare to the spine - I assume that is some of your handy work?

I'm confused about tamahagane - is it a type of steel, or the name of a maker, or both? Cheers! mpp

Zubengforge= is name of a maker, Tamahagene = is home made steel, heat treated like Honyaki

Yes i ground the choil of its just was to weird for me.

ya that looks nice... i like that you changed the choil.

you sir do nice work.

bob posted some pictures of steel being made at zubeng on a few different forums... its impressive to say the least and they do it in sandals.
making the steel

Back