Knife Collection Point system!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customfan

Reaction score
:viking:

I was just at the where is Olvind post and got a kick of the Who has the best collection banter that was going on.... and thought it might be fun to devise a points system

One point per knife across the board.....

+ 1 point it your knife has a handle that was not on the knife when new!
+ 3 if you made your own handle
+ 4 If you made your own handle and it has some obscure bone, tusk, copper or unique wood configuration.

+1 if your knife has been posted with awesome pictures on the forums and
+2 if it was reviewed!
+3 If it was owned buy someone else and was modified in some cool way!

+ 1 If you knife was custom made
+2 If it was custom made and had to wait more that 6 months for it!
+3 If it was included in a post as wip by the maker with at least a couple of OOOHSS!! and AHHS!! by thy nuts!!

Any other ideas? so who is winning? :wink:

+1 if you are filling a 17 knife rack / mag strip
+2 if you are filling a 25 knife rack / mag strip
+3 if you are filling a 35 knife rack / mag strip

Note - I have a 35 that is no where near full (hint to my wife for bday / christmas)

+10 if you actually use it rather than keep it in a bed of spun wool and polish it occasionally with a soft cloth.

+10 for actually being used
-10 for having an expensive decoration

The only problem is that the more you have, the less you use each one. Now I will have to make one cut with each knife each day to score...

3 mag bars, 3 knife blocks, 2 drawers... I feel the need for another video using multiple knives to do some task or other :p

I would add:

+5 if your collection causes relationship problems
+10 if you have ordered a custom while intoxicated
+15 if you have reached the point that giving away knives seems like a good idea

k.

+5 for every knife or knife related product you purchased for a friend or loved one.

Well from the first rehandle pts. I would say we are all very well behind the craftsmen here, even if you have the best collection.:scratchhead::Ooooh:

+5 for any Japanese knife you've actually bought in Japan.
+10 for any knife whose maker you've met in person
NO automatic points for customised handles (often they make knives look cheesy)
NO points for patinas, unless particularly beautiful
+5 if you've scrubbed and polished away like a Japanese and kept any hint of patina or blemishes off your blade

Mr. Dinky! The one one about buying while intoxicated almost made me shoot soda through my nose!! that was hilarious! Its funny......... because it is true... .

:zipper:

I knew there would be some awesome ideas coming out of this thread! Im surprised no one has mentioned stuff like...

+ 5 if you have crossed he equator with your knife gear... in one hand and a duck press in another...
+ 10 If you have Crio-tempered your Yanagiba in Antartica!
- 8 If you are on some person of interest watch list for constantly importing suspicious pointy things
+ 4 I you are automatically added to every passaround!
+ 200 if you can dance the Mamushka like Gomez Adams while holding a Blue #2 Watanabe Kiritsuke in your mouth like a pirate!
+ 5 if you are on your last Custom's Maker Christmas card list (+6 if you get a call!)..
+3 You have ever had a serious knife binge next day hangover!

:eek2:

What they send cards, and call? Dam better than the last date I was on.

Well from the first rehandle pts. I would say we are all very well behind the craftsmen here, even if you have the best collection.:scratchhead::Ooooh:

Aahh, you know about the shoemaker's family going barefoot... ;)

+ 10 if you had your knife block or magnet custom made
+ 10 for every knife with a Fish handle
- 5 for every knife you had forgotten about that you find while adding up points

I would say -5 for every knife with rust spots, but that would kick me right out of the competition...

Stefan

+5 if you have designated pass-arounds for your friends and family
+10 if you have a knife for your better half to use (so they don't touch the collection)
+15 if you have a knife for each kid, and those knives have as much patina as your go to knife
+20 if your kids sharpen their own knives

I think you should get negative points for rehandles since you're buying knives with poor handles I begin with.

Edit: at the very best it would balance out to zero.

Re: Larrin-
Hey, now. Everyone's got a history, but there's nothing wrong with buying your new lady some new shoes.

Unless those shoes cause her pain, which means she will be testy. Then she'll want a fresh young patina. Then she'll want to be groomed perfectly and perpetually.

Then you realize after all that investment you want something new.

Why not just a point for every dollar you have spent? Or does that take the fun out of it?

No, no, no. We need negative points for unused knives (or something else) otherise I'm pretty sure Salty just wins by default.

+5 if you have designated pass-arounds for your friends and family
+10 if you have a knife for your better half to use (so they don't touch the collection)
+15 if you have a knife for each kid, and those knives have as much patina as your go to knife
+20 if your kids sharpen their own knives

Wow my set I got from Butch for the wife and kid just racked me up some serious points :p

I think you should get negative points for rehandles since you're buying knives with poor handles I begin with.

Often not. People are just anti-ho and like to dress up their blades. Keep it ho.

Nothing new to add here, just an observation: some of you guy's wit are as sharp as your knives. Keep em coming.

Back