WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bacon, lots of bacon. :viking:

Bacon, eh? I always think of porchetta first, but to each his own.

I love using my Mioroshi for getting swine in line. Are you going the dry or wet route with this Jim? Beautiful belly either way... Have fun:D

Nice, I look forward to the WIP on this one.

Stefan

I love using my Mioroshi for getting swine in line. Are you going the dry or wet route with this Jim? Beautiful belly either way... Have fun:D
I gave it the dry rub treatment, pretty standard stuff.The only thing I am trying out different is, I placed a tray and added weight on the tray after I rubbed it down. The next day the meat had reduced in size by 1/3 and the changes had started already. We will see.

I used to vac seal my dry rubs, and and rotate stacking em on top of eachother. I've switched to brines lately, better yield and shorter cure. Although, I am doing it in a restaurant setting. Finding enough space to brine a full belly at home(I usually do 5-6 at a time) can be a little tricky... I can't wait to see your end results.

Mr Porcine is firming up nicely, I may be able to get him on the smoker Monday. Thinking apple wood would be nice.

Apple wood is a very good idea for this application!

I'm partial to hickory for pork and mesquite for beef, but apple is popular, so is poplar. :)

Mr. Swineside is resting comfortably -

On the smoke if its not too rainy tomorrow.

Looks beautiful Jim! I'm smoking tomorrow regardless of the weather, people need their chourico and smoked heirloom tomato mousse!

Nice! How long did you smoke for?

Last batch I did I cured for week (salt/sugar/pink salt/garlic/thyme/juniper/allspice/maybe some other stuff), full side, skin on and bone in. Smoked by a coworker who has a smoker at his house (we don't have one at work). Don't remember what he used to smoke with, but I am pretty sure it was apple.

After curing I cut the belly in half, and I too used my mioroshi deba. Bones and everything, not a problem. So what if it isn't traditional, it works right? Is there a traditionally Japanese single bevel knife designed for pork belly that I am not aware of?

Mr Swinesides has retired!

That is simply gorgeous! What temp did you smoke this at? I'm seriously considering doing this myself.....but I can only reliably keep the temp above 200F in my smoker.

Latest posts

Back