Favorite 210 Gyuto under $300

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis7490

Reaction score
I am getting an education and having a wonderful time shopping for my next knife, so I was wondering what some of the favorites are and why.

cheers,

Dennis

I've switched to the "bigger-is-better" camp. For a gyuto I don't think I could now go shorter than 270; my next blade will likely be a multi-purpose, perhaps a 180 or 210 laser petty. Suddenly that size, which was my "big" board knife's length before, would feel more comfortable for hand work.

Dennis,

What knives do you currently have? Are you comfortable with carbon? Westerb handle or WA?

-Chuck

May not be much help, but for my favorite, I'll throw out the Kochi as being very nice for the money. I have the 240 in V2 (kurouchi) which takes and holds a nice edge. Sturdy spine and very thin behind the edge makes for a fantastic cutter. Rounded edges (spine and choil) and a nice burnt chestnut handle make it very comfortable.

May not be much help, but for my favorite, I'll throw out the Kochi as being very nice for the money. I have the 240 in V2 (kurouchi) which takes and holds a nice edge. Sturdy spine and very thin behind the edge makes for a fantastic cutter. Rounded edges (spine and choil) and a nice burnt chestnut handle make it very comfortable.
and theyre out of stock. its like your putting salt in a wound:pullhair:

That's funny, I never realized it, but all my favorite 210s are more than $300. How strange! There is a special challenge in making a small knife do a lot of different things well.

The Takeda, which I feel is a fantastic 210, weighs in at the tip top of your price range. Other than that, I might have to go with my all-time-favorite budget line--Suisin Inox Western. I would say a Carter, but his aren't really Gyutos per se.

Masamoto VG series and Misono UX-10. If you want the lower end of the spectrum, Dojo stainless-sandwiched blue steel line, or Kumaguro stainless are hard to beat.

Takeda 210. Why? Because it cuts like a mofo. The blade is flat all the way until it widens at the spine. It is thin thin thin. No wedging. My favorite 240 gyuto is also a Takeda.

The Konosuke 210 gyuto is a really blade for the $. I hope one day I'll get to use a Kochi, they look fantastic.

Back