Quantcast
WIP (or RIP... repair in progress) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP (or RIP... repair in progress)

Can you talk about that blade straightener and if it could possibly be a future product for sale? There's a santoku that's been in my family for quite some time and I found out just yesterday that it was actually a Tojiro knife (perhaps it's not Tojiro but some other Fujitora knife, either way it's older, half-tang, definitely not vg-10). It's got a couple twerks in it that would be cool to straighten out.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Was the symmetry 99/1 and they tried to put a 50/50 on it? Or are you just shining it up? I am just wondering about the stone use on the back side.
    Chewie's the man.

I think a blade straightener is definitely one of those tools that requires a lot of hands-on and in-person instruction to learn to use. Not exactly point-and-click.

This is fun to watch. I wish we had more of your sharpening progression. Don't even try to tell me you did that whole knife start to finish on two stones.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    I think a blade straightener is definitely one of those tools that requires a lot of hands-on and in-person instruction to learn to use. Not exactly point-and-click.

This is fun to watch. I wish we had more of your sharpening progression. Don't even try to tell me you did that whole knife start to finish on two stones.
    3 stones... theres a really cool stone i had custom made for me (i wish i could sell it but it cost me $600)... it does my coarse and medium work. Then its the monzento and the suita.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Was the symmetry 99/1 and they tried to put a 50/50 on it? Or are you just shining it up? I am just wondering about the stone use on the back side.
    it seems like it had never been sharpened before (or at least not much)... there were some chips in the edge though. I was just doing normal repair and sharpening. The major fixes were refinishing the rusted areas of the knife and straightening it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    3 stones... theres a really cool stone i had custom made for me (i wish i could sell it but it cost me $600)... it does my coarse and medium work. Then its the monzento and the suita.
    I am finagling a way to get to the West Coast, expressly to visit your store. 33% of the reason for this visit is to see that stone.

Sponsors
    i promise it doesnt look like much... i'll see if i can remember to take a picture at work tomorrow

No, I want to see it AND smell it.

So THAT's why it's so expensive. What'd they put in that "special stone" Jon?

Also, awesome job as usual.

Bieniek would taste it too Eamon