Quantcast
Shortening a Wa handle without removing it from knife
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortening a Wa handle without removing it from knife

Shortening a Wa handle without removing it from knife

Hi,

I have a Suisin Wa-Honyaki that I enjoy using with one exception. The wa handle is so long that at times it can get uncomfortable. I've seen pictures of shorter handles on the net that have intrigued me but I actually like the stock handle shape that came with my knife and I want to shorten it as much as possible but I don't want to go through the trouble of removing the handle from the knife to do so. Does anyone here have any suggestion as to how to do so or could they recommend a knife maker/merchant that could?

Thank You,

Do you have a saw?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Yup, cut it off on the bottom, sand it clean. Be forewarned, the tang on long handles is often also very long. Does anyone have a number on the tang length for a Suisin IH?

you could use a strong magnet to locate where the tang is before you cut.

That's the only risk - the tang length. I can say that there's almost always about 3/4-1" of extra handle length but that's it.

Consider the effect how it is going to change the balancepoint..

Before cutting it, i wld determine where the balance point is. Cutting it wld logically bring back the balance point to the rear. IF presently it is 1cm infron t of the ferule.. hopefully it ends on the ferule ( front end) . IF it lands at the end of the ferule/ bolster... you may not like the balance of the knife. IF presently it is at the front end of the ferule/ bolster... it will most probably end at the end of the ferule.. making it blade heavy. If that is your "cup of tea" then proeceed.....

So have fun...

Hv fun & Stay Sharp...
    D

I would be happy to remove the handle, shorten it, re-chamfer the end, refinish it, and re-install it. Just pay the shipping

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    I would be happy to remove the handle, shorten it, re-chamfer the end, refinish it, and re-install it. Just pay the shipping
    Well...there ya go! It's members like Mike that make this forum the best.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Mike thats very kind of you. gold star for you

These aren't epoxied on?