Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting chocolage

Cutting chocolage

So, my girlfriend has a business where she makes chocolate and confections. She has been using a Mercer 8" Chef's knife for this mostly, but she wanted something else that is not going to dull up her knife. She also wanted a Japanese Chef's knife since she has played with my Tojiro and really likes it. I might give that to her.

Anyway, we were talking to a chef who taught us a knife skills class and he was suggesting that we use a bread knife for this purpose. I've also read that a Deba would be good for this as well. If she will get a Chef's knife already, I think a nice bread knife like the Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife would be a good option. What do you guys think?

Also, can I get this bread sharpened anywhere here in NYC?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    The Tojiro bread knife is way too flexy for chocolate!
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."
    -Lane Myer (Definitely not as in Oscar Mayer)

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    The Tojiro bread knife is way too flexy for chocolate!
    So maybe a Deba would work better?

Quote Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post
    So maybe a Deba would work better?
    Deba is for fish. I would just use a thick chef knife for chocolate.

Forget the bread knife for chopping chocolate. Bread knives have a serrated edge that works like a saw, and is pretty useless for chopping.

A deba is a fish filleting knife, not a chopping knife, though it may look like one from the side.

What you are looking for is a heavy knife with some thickness behind the cutting edge. There is a knife style called a yo-deba or Western deba (maybe this is what you read about?) that is suited for what you want to do. The spine is thick (usually 4 mm or so) and it is ground to leave a lot of metal behind the cutting edge for support. It is well suited for chopping nuts and other hard foods like chocolate.

Yo-deba on left, gyuto on right.

Korin has several in their catalog:

http://korin.com/Styles/Style-Yo-Deba

Rick

I like to use a Henckels cleaver.

-AJ

The Tojiro DP "Western Deba" would also fit the bill...

Yes, I'm seeing this. I think this might be a good route. Heck, I still think I'll get a cheap Forschner bread knife to have around, though.

You could stop into any of the Chinese run restaurant supplies in downtown and select a number of cleavers for 10-12 bucks.
    Not sexy- but may be just the ticket.

I just ordered the Tojiro Western Deba in 240mm length. Thanks a bunch, guys. I hope the GF likes it.