The DNC in Clt

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
So it sucks enough having to deal with the security, traffic, etc. But this morning I find out the Foo Fighters are playing a DNC concert on Wednesday night that I'm going to miss. This is in the same complex that pumbaa works at!
My event is close enough that I can probably step outside and hear it, if I'm lucky.

Aaaarrrgghhh!!!! This is so insane. My fair city is literally under siege. I've got pics and some random observations but I have to get my brain back first -hopefully by Friday.
I want to thank the 2 protesters that crashed my event this a.m. and threw a fake dirty green substance in the room.
All this security and this happens???

Want to get away from all the political BS for a few days? You're more then welcome to come visit us in DC :cool2:

Yes, it's finally over. We did it and did it very well. I pulled five 20 hour shifts in a row, but that's peanuts compared to the holidays.
My first event was a Sunday dinner and lunch the next A.M. at the Duke Energy building. This building is about 50 stories and is LEED certified platinum. The first of it's kind. We do events in the atrium on the 46th floor. The kitchen has (among many other things) 2 convotherm ovens by Cleveland. But, more about that another time.
Here's the view:
120903_0001.jpg
[/IMG]
120903_0002.jpg
[/IMG]

And the view of BOA stadium where the Prez was supposed to speak on Thurs.
120903_0004.jpg
[/IMG]
120903_0006.jpg
[/IMG]

And the Atrium. The design/decor on this whole floor is so cool. It really reminds me of the cloud city of Bespin in Empire.
120903_0003.jpg
[/IMG]
Next time I'll take some pics of the convotherm's and the actual floor.

The rest of the week was spent at the McColl center for visual arts. We did Bkfast/lunch/dinner/late nite party for 3 days for the National Journal #'s varied from 175 to 400 people per. We had set up an outdoor kitchen with a large air conditioned section as well as a 12/20 portable walk-in cooler. The other equipment included a fryer, 6ft grill, 6 burner range/still oven and a convection oven. You'll notice the drop hammer from my "Can we make a knife here"http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/6898-Can-we-make-a-knife-herethread.
120904_0004.jpg
[/IMG]
120904_0005.jpg
[/IMG]
120904_0006.jpg
120904_0007.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm so happy it's all over. The constant low-flying helicopters, blaring sirens, security/police, barricades and giant black double death fence that surrounded the city really had me tweaked. The fact that I was outside in my kitchen tent the whole time made me much more aware of all this than the average person.
It felt like something out of a outbreak/quarantine or seige movie. My company did such an awesome job and I am very proud of how well it went.

I am glad it is over. I got to cook and meet the foo fighters, sully from godsmack, sabastian bach, michelle obama, mayor of LA, dave navaro, dude that replaced steven adler in gnr, morrison from the cult, john stewart, steven colbert, and others. Secret service and the FDA up my ass all week looking at and watching everything you did. Anyways I am glad it is over!

Sounds like both of you had a hell of a time!

It would be nice to work in such a fantastic building. I think it'd make busting ass on the line a bit more worthwhile if I could do it in stunning architecture.

dude that replaced steven adler in gnr

Matt Sorum. He was in Velvet Revolver!

Sounds like both of you had a hell of a time!

It would be nice to work in such a fantastic building. I think it'd make busting ass on the line a bit more worthwhile if I could do it in stunning architecture.

Matt Sorum. He was in Velvet Revolver!

Yeah that is him. Also for me production wise as I am the only pastry chef we have, I did have an assistant student from cpcc but I did from Friday-Thursday 500 mini desserts, 4 hotel pans of tiramisu, 24 baguettes, 1500 soft rolls, 4 full sheet pans of foccacia, hamburger buns for 500, the minis included 100 ricotta cheesecake, 100 stracciatella with feuillantine cheesecakes, 100 mint chocolate macaroons, 100 dessert bruschetta with biscotti whipped marscapone and macerated strawberries, and 100 zeppole. And a ton of pasta work with 48 sheets of pasta for lasagna, 40 orders of chitara spaghetti, and countless ravioli and gnocchi.

Back