Knife for a hardworking line cook?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Some of you know i took a new seasonal chef job in NC but i have a mexican guy that really works his ass off 7 days a week and is actually very talented. All the knives there are well honestly ****! I mean literally hard time cutting room temp butter.

I was thinking somewhere along the line of the TKC but wanted to get some other opinions. It has to be something that is versatile for almost anything. Ive already taught him how to sharpen and he is getting better with practice and there are stones there.

He wants to stay under $200.

Thanks!

something cheap.

Fujiwara FKH I really like its just so cheap its unbelievable and edge is not bad.
And it is not stainless.
For under 200 could get a petty also.

Misono Swede, Fujiwara, Konosuke (all used, of course). I'm sure something will pop up in the BST!

carbonext, which is a tkc clone, for cheaper than the TKC. Also he can get a decent stone with what's leftover :doublethumbsup:

Masamoto VG 240. Great profile, solid knife. +/-$180.

One I forgot about. What about the 240 Sakai Yusuke White Steel gyuto from BluewayJapan? It's $195.99

Another option, lesser known but recommended by a lot of line cooks because it's stainless: Kumadori, sold by Japan Woodworker. They use Sandvik stainless, the same as the more expensive Yoshikane, but the Kumadori has a western handle, nice bolster but the price is closer to $100 for a 180-210 all purpose santoko/gyuto.

So someone said the 240mm FKS Gyuto is a great beginners "quality chef's knife?" They don't cost any more than "the usual suspects," like Wusties and Henkels (and less than Shuns).

yoshihiro/gesshin uraku 240mm wa gyuto. only $155 with saya.

Do you have this blade?After talking to Jon,says its a workhorse blade,not chippy,& can take a good edge 60 Hrc,good hardness for kitchen knife.Sounds like a knife for a hardworking line cook.

The culinary students here mostly use Forschner's & Shun's.One of the teachers at the school has a connection to get Shuns wholesale.I have sharpened quite a few damaged Shuns,mostly chips & broken tips.never owned one.I figured that the damage was not the knifes fault,just improper knife care.

Why do many here not care for Shun's?My feeling is that going into a new job at a Hotel or Reasturant it's better to have a plain knife wt. good geometry,decent steel,& a sharp edge,than having a custom handle Damascus that you do not even know how to sharpen.

Do you have this blade?After talking to Jon,says its a workhorse blade,not chippy,& can take a good edge 60 Hrc,good hardness for kitchen knife.Sounds like a knife for a hardworking line cook.

The culinary students here mostly use Forschner's & Shun's.One of the teachers at the school has a connection to get Shuns wholesale.I have sharpened quite a few damaged Shuns,mostly chips & broken tips.never owned one.I figured that the damage was not the knifes fault,just improper knife care.

Why do many here not care for Shun's?My feeling is that going into a new job at a Hotel or Reasturant it's better to have a plain knife wt. good geometry,decent steel,& a sharp edge,than having a custom handle Damascus that you do not even know how to sharpen.

the Shuns are often quite expensive for what they are, and the chef knives have a German profile. they also get hyped at kitchen stores, and enthusiasts almost always hate commonly hyped products. are they good knives? they are. the chef knives are kinda thick, though, so i'm not sure i'd say good geometry, on all of them.

I recently bought a carbonext 240mm gyuto from Jck.Very impressed with the knife for the price.$130.

I got the es(extra sharp) option.It wasnt.It had a at a guess 80/20 bias to the right hand side.I reprofiled it to 50/50 very easily and it has only had a couple of light touch ups since.

Everyone I know prefers their own edges anyways haha.

But thanks for all the replies guys I got an offer I couldn't pass up so I'm set. Said it before but I love this forum great community here!

Jordan

Back