Quantcast
Erasing the patina - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Erasing the patina

I find a good tooth paste works well, make sure it's a paste and not gel. a smokers toothpaste has a little extra grit. put a little bit on a towels and rub away.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+1 I thought I was the only one using toothpaste works great

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I find a good tooth paste works well, make sure it's a paste and not gel. a smokers toothpaste has a little extra grit. put a little bit on a towels and rub away.

But doesn't using toothpaste on a knife give it a tendency to bite your hand?

I actually use plane whit vinager if I get small rust spots. As far as patina goes I haven't removed one, patina on my Yoshihiro is getting pretty deep and not so pleasing. Never though of tooth paste. I was thinking i would need a finger stone to repolish things. Thanks for this thread.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    But doesn't using toothpaste on a knife give it a tendency to bite your hand?
    i like steel with a good bite.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    This is a great thread. Thanks for taking it the extra mile Rick.
    I'm on the BKF/Flitz tip. I find the Scotch-Brite too abrasive, no matter the grit. It even leaves tiny scratches on my stainless Henckels. Also, a little Chromium Oxide on the buffing wheel(gotta be careful though) will shine it up like a champ!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Pensacola Tiger (or anyone else with scratches) - now that you have those ScotchBrite scratches on your blade, what is your method of removing them - ie. polishing off the scratches?

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I find the Scotch-Brite too abrasive, no matter the grit. It even leaves tiny scratches on my stainless Henckels.
    Yep. I use the green ScotchBrite side of regular kitchen sponges on my extremely-reactive Sab paring knife, which is well pitted and scratched anyway. After hulling just a couple of pints of strawberries it will take on a deep -- almost black -- patch across the middle, which is less than pleasing to the eye.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Pensacola Tiger (or anyone else with scratches) - now that you have those ScotchBrite scratches on your blade, what is your method of removing them - ie. polishing off the scratches?
    I don't know about anyone else, but hand-rubbing with wet/dry 3M paper backed with something with 'give' is the way I go. Don't use a hard block, because it won't conform to the surface and you'll just polish the high spots. For scratches like those I put on the Harner, I'll start with 400, then move to 800 and finish some MetalGlo.

I had some time this morning, so I tried toothpaste on the stripe of patina between the area cleaned at the top with Metal-Glo and the area cleaned with BKF and a cork. Toothpaste may work on light patina, but it didn't do a great job this time. YMMV.