Quantcast
Erasing the patina - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Erasing the patina

Ack, sputter choke.... your killing me

Tormek PA-70 honing compound on a piece of cloth.
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][I]-"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"[/I][/FONT]

I use some Autosol or Flitz on a rag if I want to remove/reduce patina.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I heard that some stuff can actually scratch the blade or mess up the finish somehow. Which ones should I be aware of, and any other tips as to not cause myself grief?

I just tried using Steel Glo. Not much patina on my knives, but had some light rusty bits and this did very well. Bought this a few years ago in Malaysia and forgot about it, but obviously still works. It's a US product so should be available for you. Also it claims to be non-toxic which is a plus.

http://www.agelong.com/v/vspfiles/photos/03655-2T.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I heard that some stuff can actually scratch the blade or mess up the finish somehow. Which ones should I be aware of, and any other tips as to not cause myself grief?
    I would start with BKF on the end of a wine cork or a metal polish like Flitz, Metal-Glo or Nevr-Dull wadding. ScotchBrite, both the green and brown, may put fine scratches on a blade, at least in my experience.

Not any of my ScotchBrites!

Patina cleaning test

I was curious enough to do a short test of the three methods that were suggested: BKF with a cork, BKF with a ScotchBrite pad and a metal polish, in this case Metal-Glo.

The sacrificial lamb was a Harner O1 cleaver. This is how it looked pre-test:

I soaked a paper towel in vinegar and laid it on the blade for five minutes. Instant patina.

Then I cleaned three swaths, from top to bottom, Metal-Glo on a paper towel; BKF on a wine cork; BKF with a new ScotchBrite pad.

I was a bit surprised to see that the metal polish did the best job. The fine scratch pattern that the ScotchBrite pad left is easily seen.

Rick

Nice pix!

Rick, this is more than I could ever ask for in a reply. Thanks so much!

Certainly the scratches are very visible. I was always hesitant using scotch brites, because if makers use them to create a finish, than using one to clean up a knife would certainly alter the finish, wouldn't it? Maybe it's a certain type of scotch brite, or technique, or something.

That metal polish looks fantastic, and I'll have to go get some.