Quantcast
High HRC Heat Treat for AEB-L?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High HRC Heat Treat for AEB-L?

High HRC Heat Treat for AEB-L?

Hello All,

I have heard tell of people getting AEB-L to 63, but how they do it is another story. Does anyone have a program they are willing to share?

Thanks

John

Why would you? It performs so freaking well at 59-60.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Why would you? It performs so freaking well at ~60.
    Because I prefer a harder blade.

I'm no metallurgist nor hammer wielding smithy but from what I've learned every steel has a sweet spot in the hrc scale at which it performs best. Given that some of the best knife makers in the business keep the hardness ~60 I would expect that that's where it should be to get the best results out of the steel.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    I'm no metallurgist nor hammer wielding smithy but from what I've learned every steel has a sweet spot in the hrc scale at which it performs best. Given that some of the best knife makers in the business keep the hardness ~60 I would expect that that's where it should be to get the best results out of the steel.
    Not for nothin', but Devin Thomas, a man who knows a thing or two about steel, takes his to 61-62. He keeps his methods, understandably, to himself, hence my posting here.

The difference between 60 and 61 is pretty minor. The difference between 61 and 63 is not.

I would just consider a different steel. Not all steels do well at that hardness. It will get brittle.

I could live with 62 - what approach would you recommend to get there?

If not, what stainless would you recommend to get to 63?

For hrc 63, you should be looking into some pm steels. cowry x, zdp189, sg2 and srs-15 would all be pretty capable at 63, albeit probably pretty expensive

I'm having Peters heat treat my AEB-L and their knife guy Brad--someone who knows his heat treats and his steels--has told me that 60 is the highest anyone should reasonably expect from AEB-L and he won't promise to get blades any harder than that on that steel. I think that casts some doubt towards those makers who are advertising 62-63 with the steel. Brad at Peters is using cryo, etc.. I got some back from him at 59-60 and they perform REALLY well and are a pleasure to work with.

From what I have heard, Devin has been extremely helpful to some of the starting vendors on this site. You may want to send him a pm or an email. He might share his process with you if you ask. Never hurts to ask, worst thing he can do is say no.