What's your favorite 300 mm sujihiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottman

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm dabbling in knifemaking and somewhere down the line I want to try a 300 mm sujihiki. I only have a 270 Hiro AS wa suji so my question goes out to the users of the 300 variety. So what's your favorite shape/brand/model and why? :helpsos:

Thanks in advance

Hattori FH.

Because I prefer western-handled knives, and it's awesome!

I bet it will be my new Shiogefusa , because I feel his knives have perfect geometry , heft and grind.

FH series sounds good.
Doug, is it in any way possible that you could post a tracing of the blade next to a ruler?

Konosuke white#2 mutha sucka!:eek:vg: I don't know what I would do without it.

fxrszn.jpg

1440m02.jpg

Whoops, forgot to say anything about it. The Konosuke has perfect thinness, profile and weight/balance.

The Pierre custom 300 suji that was for sale a bit ago looked to have an even flatter profile...it was different, but I really liked it. Would of purchased if my money wasn't already tied up.

Bottom one in this photo is the 300mm Hattori FH, above it are the 270mm (top) and 230mm (middle):

Img674.jpg

I've only seen one 300mm suji in person that I can remember.
CFF24EF7-5056-A345-0CCB4A026D48866A.jpg

For me, its my Nenox suji. Its 285 but pretty dern close.

FH series sounds good.
Doug, is it in any way possible that you could post a tracing of the blade next to a ruler?
Couldn't post this to my photo site yesterday -- here's a rather crappy photo with a ruler as you requested:

1257729921_QJkhBnS-X.jpg
1257729921_QJkhBnS-XL.jpg

Thanks Doug.
Shapewise Pierre's suji looks very close to the FH.

Really hard to beat Salty's Masamoto.

[video=youtube;XJ5BffjMOGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ5BffjMOGM&feature=related[/video]

As cool as the Masamoto suji is, it's not a 300mm that Rott is looking for.

That honyaki looks badass and is a sweet piece of work though...but I'll stick with my Konosuke 300mm for under $275 on my budget.

As cool as the Masamoto suji is, it's not a 300mm that Rott is looking for.

That honyaki looks badass and is a sweet piece of work though...but I'll stick with my Konosuke 300mm for under $275 on my budget.

+1 on the Konosuke. I don't really see how many sujis out there could possibly top it.

I have a 270mm Konosuke suji and it's great but I'm too scared to really use it for BBQ. First off, it feels like the edge is too delicate to handle the crust/bark on a brisket and it's also so thin and flexy that I almost don't feel secure using it for slicing a brisket. Am I being too much of a wuss and should stop babying it or is that just one of the downfalls of having such an anorexic knife? I use a Kanemasa suji for brisket at the moment.

I say stop being a wuss. I've used my Konosuke for all kinds of stuff including filleting smaller fish. It can handle it. :)

Back