One side microbevel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only recently saw Jon 8roida's video on one side microbevelling.
youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=nl&client=mv-google&v=xwnFrjiAA_8
My experience with micobevels was limited to double ones. I didn't like them very much because of the performance loss I noticed.
For me, these one side microbevels are a true revelation because of the increased edge retention, while performance remains unaffected.
Any thoughts?

Yeah, I also hadn't heard of the 1 sided microbevel until reading a post by Jon.

When I first started sharpening, I thought that the pinnacle of sharpening skill was just based on being able to put the finest, most atom-splitting edge on a blade as possible. However, thanks to people on the this place like Dave and Jon and my own experimentation over the years, I've come to realize that sharpening mastery comes from being able to put the best edge on a knife for a given purpose; taking into consideration the steel, the knife, the cutting style, the product to be cut, and the required durability / stability of the edge.

This means any combination of simple and compound bevels, symmetrical or asymmetrical, perhaps microbevel(s), convex or mico-convex, and the right mix of tooth and polish.

Just goes to show there is always more freehand tips to be had.I saw Jon's video & tried some rocking tip work & putting the micro on one side.I also learned stropping on stones fr.Murray Carter,it's fun to strop carbon blades on a polishing stone.

Back